Sunday, April 02, 2006

Urban coyotes.

(Rant warning!)

Why did "officials" remove a coyote from New York City?

Probably because taxpayers freaked out and rang their phones demanding they be protected from the "wild predator who doesn't belong in the city."

When I recently attended a wildlife control conference, the wildlife control operators there talked at length about being called to capture (and kill) coyotes that really weren't doing a thing wrong. The trappers themselves felt the coyotes should stay, but taxpayers hollered to the towns, and towns hollered to wildlife control. Wildlife control operators often have contracts with townships and while they can offer advice and guidance, when it comes down to it, officials make the decision. And the coyotes pay with their lives.

People like to blame "hunters and trappers" for the death of animals removed in the name of wildlife control. But as a person who owned a wildlife control business, I can assure you that more and more animals die in the "humane traps" of average home owners who just don't want raccoons and opossums and bunnies and squirrels in their yard and decide to buy a "Hav-A-Heart" to fix the problem themselves. For those people willing to pay to have someone else do the work, behind every successful wildlife control business are a few hundred or thousand people who each year decide they can't stand a woodchuck hole in their yard.

As a part-timer, I had the luxury of telling people to go bark at the moon. "What kind of damage is the animal causing?" I'd ask. And when they said "There's no damage. I just am concerned because I can smell skunk in my neighborhood" or "He's just sitting in the tree" or "The squirrels are eating my bird seed," I would give them a talk about tolerating wildlife and refuse to provide trapping as a solution. But then, I wasn't feeding a family of four on wildlife control, either. Nor was I a town official whose phone was ringing off the hook.

I received a call last year from a woman who wanted a cat "saved" from her property. (Actually, the cat annoyed her and she wanted him gone). She explained that her manner of dealing with skunks was to bait a cage trap (so-called "humane trap") catch the skunk, and feed it rat poison. When it wouldn't eat the poison, she mixed it with cat food and left the skunk there until it ate the food in desperation. Then as the skunk staggered in the trap, dying, she released it, so she wouldn't have to despose of the carcass. And she considers herself an animal lover.

I also ran into people who professed to love animals, who were causing the animal problem themselves. "We have a three-legged deer in our yard. We started feeding her, and now she's getting beaten up by the deer who also come to eat now that they have found the food." Answer: Stop. Feeding. The. Deer. Their answer? "We couldn't possibly do that." So the three-legged deer gets the stuffings kicked out of her daily, because she and twenty other deer can't resist the piles of corn.

At the funeral of a family friend I met a man who found an old conibear trap in his garage and set it over a woodchuck hole to kill a chuck. He caught a neighbor's curious kitten instead and killed it. He then proceeded to treat me to a rant about how "inhumane" the traps were and how "awful trappers were." Apparently it did not occur to him to have remorse for the woodchuck he had planned to strangle to death, and the kitten he succeeded in destroying. It wasn't HIS fault. It was THE NASTY TRAP.

Coyotes have been common in urban centers for quite some time. While occasional problem animals do need to be removed if they become a danger, most are just fine doing what coyotes do.

Our resident coyotes howl from the hills almost every night. It's eerie, but beautiful. Yes, it is scary when you go to the porch, flip on the light, and the howling...stops. Ummm...close, are they?

Or when you come home at night and nearly trip over a black bear in your bird feeder. Hiyah! Want to hear the heart go pitter-pat?

Everyone in New York State except NYC and Long Island have had healthy coyote populations for quite awhile. And in fact, there probably are more coyote in NYC and LI than officials know. After all, Hal wasn't the only coyote in the City this month.

Foxes are also highly common in residential areas.

When you read that "Wildlife Services killed X number of animals" or "town officials hired a wildlife control company to remove X animal," keep in mind why they did it.

Because average people like you and I rang municipal phones demanding "something be done," Hal couldn't remain under the radar. Tolerance of wild animals starts with us. Once it reaches our government, if they act, it's because WE demanded they do something. And between taxpayers and one coyote, the coyote will lose almost every time.


There are those who demand we do "the humane thing" and relocate urban wildlife "to the wilds, where they belong." Well, relocation is highly traumatic, and often results in the death of the animals. And now "Hal" is dead, removed by our intolerance, and killed by our thoughtfulness. But ultimately, the responsibility doesn't lie with the officials who ordered him gone, or the people who sedated him to be tagged.

It lies with the citizen taxpayers who made phones go jingle, jingle, jingle.

3 comments:

Strayer said...

In the forested hills outside of Sweet Home, on star filled clear nights, the coyotes howl and yap. It is a beautiful primordial sound to me. It makes me feel like I'm in the howling night jungle. Spine tingling and glorious. I lived in Alaska a few years. I'd hike and hike alone. Nights on some hikes, I'd lay on the tundra on my back watching the northern lights and hearing wolves howl back and forth across the vastness. For years afterwards, when down along the river, in tame Corvallis, Oregon, I was haunted by the call of the wild from Alaska. When under severe stress or trauma, when homeless along the river, watching the stars, I'd go into what I called waking visions, and I'd be part of the pack, back in Alaska, on a blood trail, with those wolves. It was a strange experience, primoridial and deep in a way, and only occurred when there was a certain electricity to the night air, or something. It's hard to explain.

Anonymous said...

ultimately, the responsibility doesn't lie with the officials who ordered him gone, or the people who sedated him to be tagged.

It lies with the citizen taxpayers who made phones go jingle, jingle, jingle.

I could not have said it better, Those concerned citizens that made the call dont even realize the death sentence they have signed for not one coyote but all coyotes.
I too am a wildlife control officer, and I am also happy that I do not feed my family on trapping. I can preach tolerance and not be afraid of losing the job. About 10 years ago god gave me (all of us) a gift of free predator control (we can all argue the date). I accepted it with open arms and mind. We have since been pretty much rodent free (I have birds, available seed for rat food is always on the ground). Turns out it was a great free gift. I am very happy that in my moments of apprehension, I did not ask for this animal to be removed.

Now a little surprising background information on myself. I do feed my family on White Doves, I perform cerimonial dove releases for special occasions. You would think that if any one has a reason to hate coyotes, you would think it would be me. After all pheasants and doves are pretty much the same, coyote food so I am told. Let me tell you what 3 years of owning almost 100 birds have told me (living in coyote country). naturally well fed coyotes have no interest in humans,or human things none at all. We scare them, terribly.

I have lost over 30 birds to 2 different types of endangered birds (the bald eagle, and the (I know I will get this spelling wrong) Periginne Falcon. This I know for a fact as I am one of the very few on the planet to have witnessed an eagle, or falcon actually taking prey (unfortunately that WAS my bird you are eating).

I have never had a coyote in my immediate area (a couple of hundred yards)that I am aware of, let alone lose a bird to a coyote. I have heard the howl of the night air that we all speak highly of. It can be intimidating, they must be close at hand to hear my footsteps in the forest and quiet themselves. Are not those the moments that invigorate us. The moments when you are glad to be alive.

Take proper care of your animals at night (I am sorry you have to watch your pet on his midnight sprinkle), yes it is cold. Properly house outside animals by providing enclosed caging and shelter. Don't feed coyotes, they are far smarter then you could ever imagine. Love the coyotes for what they do, EAT RATS. They do nothing more, and nothing less. Follow that advice and you too will be free of coyotes as a problem.

Anonymous said...

Ah, how romantic, primal and mystic. The call of the wild under twinkling night skies. Your coyotes may be a breed apart. Ours should not even still be called coyotes,as DNA testing has proven the Cape Cod "coyotes" to be at least 50% Eastern Timberwolf, and weigh-ins in the 60lb. range arre not uncommon, twice the weight of the western coyotes. These animals have neither the small size nor the classic temprment of the western coyote, attacking dogs even on leashes on walks, ripping pets open in their yards and killing scores of pets they catch off leash. New reports of such carnage are nearly daily events. Several human attacks by coyotes have been reported in Massachusetts including one on the 4 year old daughter of a State Trooper in daylight while he was with her in their back yard. Durinh his television interview his described his horror at having to repeatedly hit the animal with a shovel to get it to release his child. It is now nearly ten years since these animals have been on the outer Cape in any numbers. We used to have rabbits. No more. We had many domestic cats and dogs who lolled their idle days outside. No more. And our well-behaved large skunk population, as well as the racoons we'd see nightly are now gone. We are at the tip of the Cape surrounded by water, sand dunes and woods, and have always loved our wildlife, until the introduction of these non-coyote wolf half-breeds which have descimated the local critter populations, including the handsome red foxes we would regularly see, and our wild turkeys. Local hunters (I am not a hunter) report dwindling deer populations and also witness and report coyote "wolf-pack" hunting behaviors previous thought to be uncharacteristic of coyotes. Now as these "coyotes" regularly inhabit our neighborhoods, the USPS Rangers even warn us to cease the use of bird feeders.

So, romantic as your coyotes may seem now, they are not the same animals other communities such as ours are told to call coyotes, and as we have, you may someday find that your coyote population has disappeared, falling to the wolf-coyote hybred, which will destroy the wildlife as you knew it and become a constant danger, perhaps even eventually becoming all wolf.