Thursday, April 27, 2006

Foreclosures up?

I know, I know. When I ditched the old blog and started the new, I said "No issues. Just cats." Must be something about spring (Earth Day, probably, has a lot to do with it), but I have a hard time keeping silent.

I suspect we are headed a general crash. We have been naively willing to accept the loss of personal freedoms as well as global aggression in return for economic largess. We also naively run our own lives the same way...by taking on crippling debt to have more, more, more. Because we are told (and want to believe) that we CAN afford to pay later for what we can't pay for now.

How, please?

(BTW, the creation of the bank debit card is probably the best single financial innovation of the decade. I can now have credit-card convenience while only spending money I actually have).

Others can blog on politics far better than I, but now and then I discover a piece of information that seems as indicative of future disease on a national scale.

It's like hearing too many sneezes in the cat facility---a sneeze here and there is probably due to dust bunnies. More than a few sneezes? --- Something is seriously wrong.

Once kittens are in the house, a simply upper respiratory outbreak can mean death. What is just an inconvenience to the old boys with good immune systems (or big bank accounts) is deadly to the young who don't have that buffer.

This appears to me to be a few sneezes over the dust-bunny threshold: Foreclosures appear to be way, way up.

And we've got a heck of a lot of kittens named Iraq, Afganistan, New Orleans, global warming (warming that we won't even acknowledge exists, let alone take steps to resolve), loss of domestic jobs, culture shock over the new connection with our immigrant identity, etc.

Too many sneezes, and too many kittens. And it takes high gas prices to make us even begin to whimper. We/I should be doing a lot more than whimpering!

Another hurricane season is coming. I predict we will see the tolerance of U.S. citizens tested this year. Last year was a so-called "surprise." This year we don't have that excuse.

Is that another sneeze I hear? What am I doing about it? I can close the door and pretend I'm not hearing it...hoping the problem will go away, although any rational person would know it won't. That's what hoarders do. They say "I love my animals," while all around them their animals are ill and dying.

And they call hoarders mentally diseased.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how you tied cats and politics together. And I believe your point is, unfortunately, so, so true. ... Gina

georg said...

Very well written.

And last year they changed the bankruptcy laws to make it harder for lower middle class and poorer to proclaim bankruptcy and get out of debt. It's only a matter of time before they re-introduce debtor's prison, I worry.

There are already tropical depressions forming off of Africa this year.