Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Long time no post. From the archives of life...


I must apologize. Has it been Saturday since I last posted? I've been finishing up a presentation on feral cat handling and management, and have been digging out tons of old photos. I'll share a few this week.

This is the Sage Road Colony, which, last I heard, now has NO barn cats. A fellow rescuer asked for helping getting them caught and neutered. Lucky for us it was the holidays, and many of the cats were actually really friendly. The SPCA actually needed cats for their Christmas adoption events! I'd have to look up the numbers, but I know at least ten were adopted into homes, and only a handful were returned to the farm. But I have to say, we just stared at one another in shock when we poured out the food on our first visit and this is what we got. I believe the total number captured was 22.Posted by Picasa


While we were feeding, this little guy came hobbling out with his leg wrapped in duct tape (someone's idea of a splint for lack of anything else). No one was home, but we nabbed him without clear permission and took him immediately to the vet. The owner later told us that was fine. His leg had been hyperextended by some accident and was not repairable. Our vet did the amputation for a large discount, and the Tompkins County SPCA helped with the cost. The SPCA provided all the spay/neuter for this clan, and took the friendly cats for adoption. We adopted Lefty out ourselves, at an adoption event at the Barnes and Noble store. He sure was a sweetie. I wonder how he's doing.

Artemis was also from the Sage Colony. She was adopted into a home with four other Manxes. This was just the nicest population of cats. I should give a call to make sure no new strays have shown up.Posted by Picasa

No comments: