Thursday, April 06, 2006

Happy Birthday Rhett!


There are eleven kittens in this pile. All of them came from under one porch in 2003. This shot was taken about ten minutes after we opened up the side of the porch and I crawled in and nabbed them one by one. Obviously they weren't too traumatized, since they immediately fell asleep.

Nine of these kittens were feline leukemia positive.

The two negative kittens were put in foster homes for six months, retested and adopted out. One kitten was immediately euthanized due to a ruptured eye. Two kittens were euthanized a week later for illness and that's when the leukemia was discovered.

The six positive kittens were all adopted by the couple who owned the home where they were found. Five have had wonderful but short lives. One by one, they fell ill. But they were fat and glossy and healthy and happy until the illness finally came calling.

Rhett, however is beating the odds. He is the gray kitten with white, at the very bottom, with the blue eye. He is three years old this week! Happy Birthday Rhett!

And bless you, Eugenia and Phil, for giving these kittens lives full of love.


(I sent Rhett a card from ActionCat.com) Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At first I was thinking the photo was cute, but as I looked at it more it was a bit disturbing -- a pile of fur with the occasional eyeball :) I think that sort of thing might live in areas of my house where I forget to dust, and now I'm afraid to look.

In any case... it was wonderful that so many of the kittens got to have safe and happy homelives, even if they were short. I'm sure their owners were very happy to have been able to get to know them. And of course, Happy Birthday, Rhett :)