Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Not a good sign.


Fluffy is drinking too much water. Posted by Picasa

...too much water
...too much water!

I think it's safe to say that Fluffy is my favorite cat in the facility. He was the very first feral I ever trapped for spay/neuter (to be released). Many have heard the story of how I asked the vet students to "clip his mats" and he came out of surgery stripped bald. There was no releasing him. I figured I would keep him until his fur grew out a bit, then release him on our farm, where he had been captured. But he tamed up into the sweetheart (but no pushover!) that he is.

Fluffy has a serious movie-star coat that requires daily brushing. I am proud to say that for the first spring ever, Fluffy doesn't have a single mat! He is gorgeous, and he now loves his combing, since there are no mats to tug at. It takes working on him every single day. Photographs never do justice to him. Anyone who comes to visit him is in awe of his size and..well...all that fur. Not to mention paws the size of small pancakes (and no extra toes!).

He's a big beautiful boy who loves kittens. However, he's been spending more and more time at the water bowl. It's time for a blood test. And while Fluffy may love to be petted and combed, he may like being scritched under the chin by strangers, he does NOT love being restrained.

But if this water drinking keeps up, it's off to the vet. He could just be bored. He doesn't have a urinary blockage, there's no perceiveable blood in his urine, and he's certainly not losing weight. However, he hasn't put on weight either. He's just his normal big furry self.

Sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Fluffy... I hope he's just temporarily dehydrated from running a marathon or eating too much soy sauce with his sushi.

Cat said...

Oh dear ... Alex my persian-cross displays the same symptoms & I didn't think too much about it .. Maybe I should monitor his water intake now .. There are days where he practically camped by his waterbowl.

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that. . .I'll be thinking of you and Fluffy.


Rocket's mommy

ancodia said...

I am hoping with all my heart that Fluffy is just very thirsty.

We (me, Romeo, Weebie, and Squoosh) all have our fingers and paws crossed over here!

Thank you for the links, though--they were very informative.