Friday, April 28, 2006

Radial Hypoplasia


Nothing is ever simple, is it? Posted by Picasa

The kittens are beginning to play. There is nothing cuter than kittens who are too small to walk, rolling around waving their paws at one another. While watching, I noticed that one of them wasn't using his front legs correctly. He didn't seem to be able to straighten them.

My heart sank when I picked him up (or her? They are not sexed yet). He appears to have radial hypoplasia, which is congenital, not developmental. In other words, the kitten was likely born with condition; it wasn't caused by poor nutrition, etc. after birth. Radial hypoplasia is often linked to kittens with a polydactyl condition ("extra toes") which this little fellow has.

He's too young to tell whether or not he will be able to use his front paws, or whether the problem is so severe he would walk on his wrists. Wrist-walking would cause all kinds of complications, and I'm not sure he would be adoptable. Right now he waves his little paws around to bat at his littermates when they are rolling around, so he considers them useable. One leg appears to be worse than the other.

So at the moment, it's "wait and see." Even kittens with normal limbs can't walk at this age. And it was this kitten who was the first one to crawl out of box, so obviously it isn't slowing him down. Yet the stories from caretakers of cats with this condition make it clear that this isn't a simple problem for a cat to live with.

And caring for one is a serious commitment.


See how he scoots around now? He uses his wrists, not his paws.



POST NOTE 2007 - This guy grew up just fine. Slowly his upper legs grew out and the issue with his lower legs and paws became less noticeable. He walks without a problem and was adopted. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little guy... you know I'd be willing to take him if I lived nearby. I wonder if some sort of brace or orthotic could eventually help him? I found very little information online about devices to assist handicapped cats, although there are certainly many great new inventions for handicapped dogs. I guess that's because dogs tend to be more "agreeable" to thinks like harnesses, etc.

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

They're insanely cute!
I'm so sorry to hear a few of them appear to have physical problems.

Anonymous said...

leigh-ann--I wonder the same thing--if a brace or orthotic would help--it's true that cats tend to be fussy about things, but if he began it as a kitten, maybe he would feel more adaptable.

georg said...

The problem with an orthotic is that the kitten would need a new one every few days for the first month or so- they grow fast enough to quickly outpace an orthotic, and forcing them to keep one too long is just as damaging.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry too much before you have to. You may find as I did that the kitty will work things out for himself. I run a rescue in SC and four years ago we dealt with a litter in which all but one had deformed legs (the last born was perfectly OK!). Two of the deformed kittens survived and I got on the internet seeking info and worrying how they would get around, etc. One kitten had no front legs, only tiny little stumps - almost dots, really, and the other had about half a leg on one side and 3/4 of a leg on the other, with both paws deformed. By four weeks they were bunny-hopping around on their back legs instinctively. It took the male (the one without front legs) a week longer than his sister to figure the litterbox out - he just couldn't make it there fast enough at first! He even uses his stumps to try to cover. Both kitties were adopted to a woman in NJ and both are doing fine. Occasionally kitties with radial hypoplasia or similar problems have other congenital defects such as heart problems, so we were worried at first, but both cats are fine and contrary to our fears, required no prostheses, carts, other special equipment or surgery of any kind. Your kitten's problem looks slightly different so maybe he won't be quite as fortunate, but you may find he needs no special help at all - I hope so, anyway. Our kittens as babies are pictured at www.bemikitties.com/carocats/cats/html
The adopter now lives at and works at Tabby's Place, a big state-of-the-art shelter in Ringoes, New Jersey that takes cats off death row at pounds and finds homes for them if adoptable.

Anonymous said...

I recently adopted the most adorable radial hypoplasia guy, named him "Tiny Dancer" 'cause he's so cute how he gets around. He can jump SO high and get around just fine - only one incident (I was just horrified) where he tried to jump to the window perch from a different avenue, but another cat was there, he tried to grab the ledge and then fell backwards right into the litter - thank God I keep that box full and clean! He was okay, but since then I ordered and have received a really nice ramp with sides to it and it's carpeted. I was lucky to find this on eBay at such a great price as it was custom made to my height, etc., specifications.

I love my guy 'till the day I die (along with my 7 other feline family members, and my 1 foster kitten, "Squint", with a/genesis of both eyes.

Ahhh so glad I found your website. It looks like no one has written in a long time so you'll probably not get th is message, but I am glad to have found your site!

Wish I could post a picture of Tiny Dancer - he's adorable. (Emaciated when I got him, full of fleas, anemia, diarrhea, dehydrated, etc. - he was well within a week and has gained weight to a safe level now).
:o)

Lisa Saville said...

I have a cat that walks on his "elbows". His name is Bentley. He walks with his tiny hiny up in the air and his tail arched over his back. And not to mention the 6 and 7 toes on his back feet. I think its natures way of helping him live an easier life. Can you tell me if there is anything I should be aware of? Bentley is about 10 weeks old. 3 of his other siblings have it too but not as bad as Bentley. Do these cats have problems with inner organs or anything?