Friday, June 06, 2008

Summertime...

There's only one good thing about a blazingly hot day. And that's the beautiful cool evening that follows.

There is nothing more peaceful than sitting down on the porch after some hard yard work, feeling the evening settle down around you, hearing the neighbor's kids play somewhere in the distance, smelling someone's barbecue...somewhere...too far away to see. The birds come out to sing, the rabbits are playing in the yard (no longer terrorized by Nick), and the wind finally picks up after a day of deadly dull heat.

It's beautiful. I love it.




The cats weren't happy about the heat today, mostly because I hadn't prepared for it in advance, and they had to put up with me banging around, replacing all the heaters with fans. I'll probably pick up a new fan or two tomorrow in Ithaca, as I do every year.

However, it is perfectly cool downstairs in the house, and my house felines all stayed upstairs in the heat with me, so it's their own choice. Ditz was the exception, choosing to park her butt on the kitchen table all day long.



Turkey hens are making querulous noises across the creek. Summer has arrived.

1 comment:

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

You've got a *beautiful* location. I really do envy you, in some ways!