Monday, June 09, 2008

Blackie comes home

This winter I posted about another local cat rescuer who was fixing cats in a trailer park and needed a place for them to stay.

The great big toms she caught ended up staying here quite awhile. They were friendly, and far too big for their cages, and I would let them out to exercise.

Blackie, not content with his nice warm barn, punched a pane of glass out of one of the barn windows, leaped into the deep snow, and was gone.

I started putting food out, and I would see him on the porch after dark. As soon as I made a sound, he was gone like a shot. He never ate more than a quarter cup of dry food. I never saw him at all during the day. There are other neighbors who put food out for their cats, so I assumed he was munching at their houses, too.

When the bears became a problem, we started being more careful about foodstuff outdoors. And when Nick died, his daytime food bowl was removed. I was putting out food for Blackie, but frankly, with all that has gone on these past few weeks, I forgot all about him.

Two nights ago, Ivan was starting out the window, lashing his tail, and I saw a black cat on the path to the house. I took out a can of food and called him. Once I was in the house, he came up on the porch and ate it all.

The next night, it wasn't yet dark, and there he was, by the woodpile. He started to run, but when I called him, he turned around. All it took was a pat of my hand on the porch, and he came running back.

So guess what.



Yeah, that's Nick's collar on him.

It's too hot to shut up a cat in the cat facility who has been running around the farm for months, anyway.

I would be happy if he didn't meow constantly though. That seems to have worn off a bit today, but then it's beastly hot and he's probably worn out.

He came running from the barn when I called him this afternoon.

It looks like Wildrun has a barn cat again. I'm open to finding him another place, though. Maybe he'll charm some visitor.

Now he needs a better name than "Blackie."

Post-note: I've decided, given our charismatic megafauna issues lately, to name him "Bear." I realize it's not original, but it fits him, and it fits this place too.

3 comments:

gary rith said...

Now this is kinda interesting: you are a stranger to me until today BUT I am listed as one of your local bloggers and you mentioned my music selection the other day and you have been blogging a long time. Well! How long have you been visiting my blog? Just curious.
I am thoroughly pleased to find you. You're doing something terribly difficult. I was a volunteer, for example, at spca last summer and after I had adopted a dog and cat to add to the home collection realized I had to slow down. I certainly am impressed with your comittment.
If you would like to find a way to partner with me on fund raising items.....
just posted some likely cat and dog lover items, actually.
Thanks for the visit, pleased to meet you.
Gary

Anonymous said...

The song "Nick Nack Paddywack, give the dog a bone, this old man came rolling home" keeps going through my head now. Perhaps his name should be Nack or Paddy or Paddywack??? So glad he knew a good place when he found one and that he stuck around :}

Anonymous said...

Nice that Blackie/Bear came back!

I had to stop and comment because I had a Bear cat of my own. And your Bear looks much like mine did. He was a wonderful barn kitty who succumbed to a cancerous tumor in his jaw. I miss him very much!