Thursday, June 29, 2006

Finally blogging on the off-site



So, it's only taken me five days, but between kittens, spays, and floods, I'm finally getting around to posting something on the off-site adoption last Sunday.

First off, off-sites "on the street" are usually hit or miss. This time it was a miss. The most common statement we heard was "I already have four cats, that I adopted from the SPCA." Which is actually a great thing to hear. Much better than "My cat keeps having kittens and I don't need anymore."

But what was amazing was how many friends showed up! First April came strolling up, which caused my first doubletake. After all, April lives in Syracuse, two hours away. Yet she drove all the way in and hung out for a few hours. Then Nancy showed up, and also hung out for quite a few hours. Nancy and April are both quite cat savvy. Nancy does a lot of fostering for the Tompkins County SPCA, and her husband is a primary dog volunteer there. So they could answer public questions as well as I could.

Then, while I was fixated on the kittens, Gretchen and Troy showed up and I didn't even recognize them. They fostered Lulu and Dylan, as well as Knuckles. They'll be taking little Knuckles back once he's up to weight and has had his xray. They came bearing lamb baby food (baby food is gold in cat rescue). It was getting to be quite the party (next time I'm bringing food! Human, that is).

Susan from Tamarack Farms had her kittens inside the store so we sent people on in to visit her kits as well. Then suddenly, a couple walked up, and the woman introduced herself as Georg! Jazz was with her, quietly setting up a video camera to film the proceedings. The long and the short of it is that I hope we'll be able to have them over for dinner sometime very soon (and maybe talk a bit about blogging, rather than just cats--which is all I had on the brain on Sunday).

It seemed like every time I turned around I was exclaiming over someone else who had really come a long way to stop by and see us---and just because they had read it here (only a day in advance) on the blog.

Amazing. Wonderful! Thank you!!!!

No comments: