Friday, June 30, 2006

Baby, it's dark outside...


I got a call from a fellow gattare this morning, about cats on this strip of highway in Ithaca. I may have to resurrect Caitlin, because frankly I'm really getting pissed off that there should be any need for me to have to venture into this other county at all. Another Agency should be responding to these, or creating a community effort to deal with these cats.

But that hasn't happened, so it here we are again.

I haven't been out Lurking in a long while. It's amazing where you can go at night with a scoop of cat food in arms. "Sorry officer, I'm just feeding the cats." I had been told there was a mom cat and kittens out here, and since I was in town, I thought I'd take a look.


I didn't find cats, but I discovered where my friend had fed them back in the bushes were a local business owner said they had been feeding as well. I know it's her, because she's the only cat rescuer who would put out Science Diet for street strays! So I didn't end up leaving food. But I did use my scoop of dry food to grant me access behind buildings to see if anyone else was feeding. I didn't find food, but I found places where cats could find shelter.



It was (and is yet) a beautiful night. I walked quite a few blocks, looking around. I stopped in Pete's to use the ATM, and asked if they ever saw or fed cats. No, ma'am. So at least the area isn't swarming.



I stopped to check on the Fast Food Ferals on the way home (plenty of food already in their feeding station) and came home to let the Monster out to play. Knuckles has somehow managed to chew off all of his OWN whiskers. Sometimes kittens will chew off each other's whiskers (it's called "barbering") but his OWN? How did he manage that?

Mark and I had met in town to have dinner. I suggested a walk afterward, and we ended up on Albany Street, where we found Eugenia feeding the Motley Crew, and walked through Geneva Street, where we saw Sarah working in her garden out front, and her feral Boris granted us a glimpse of his gorgeous white self.

While at Eugenia's, she mentioned a mom cat who was probably someone's pet. As if on cue, Mom Cat wandered by to eat dinner at Eugenia's while we were there. She's lactating, so kittens are somewhere. Later in the evening I ran into Mom Cat again a block away.



And so goes the night.

No comments: