Saturday, June 10, 2006

It's 2 a.m. Do you know where your kittens are?




I'm tired. I'm wondering...do the younger people get the reference? It is ingrained enough in culture that the under-20 crowd has heard it before?

The photo is of little Hobart, one of the kittens that I'm bottlefeeding.

At any rate, five of my six-week old kittens are sleeping in two different foster homes tonight. They aren't just "my" kittens anymore. It was a good night. There are never enough hours in the day, and the whole drive back from the Cortland/Dryden area I was obsessing about what I could be doing with those two hours (over and back). But what good does it do? You take the kittens where the good people are. And there were good people in Cortland and Dryden. Now that I've seen their homes and how they handle the kittens (and how spoiled their pet cats are), if needed I can pass future kittens off in Ithaca, where both fosterers work, if they are interested in fostering again.

Now, with an extra cage, I was able to move the one mom left with kittens into a extra large cage, and move Espie up to a larger one than the one she was crashing in. Espie is on metronidazole and--oh happy day--the diarrhea has immediately gone away. The vet tech suspects a bacterial infection. Thank you Ellen! It worked! I'm so wearily glad, because adopting out a cat with irritable bowel or other "loose stool" issue is a difficult proposition.

So I met two wonderful foster homes today, and the kittens will have a lot more fun in real homes, and grow up far more normal than if they were stuck in my cat facility. Even little Knuckles the radial hypoplasia kitten is out romping in a real home!

So off to NJ tomorrow. I need to get up really early to take care of the cats. And pack. And hit Yahoo maps online. And, and, and....

ZZZZZZzzzzzzz....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I lived closer to you--I'd volunteer to help you in a NY minute. Can you find any high school or college students who would be willing to volunteer for credit or experience?

Unknown said...

I'm glad you found some fosterers for the kittens. Dickens, even before the giardia fiasco, was SO much work at that stage - I can't imagine trying to manage several of them at a time. Whew.

They are awfully cute then, though :)