Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Did I save money or waste money?

Lately I've been thinking about "travel with cats." I have one cat in particular in the facility, Espie, whom I think might actually enjoy it.

However there are several roadblocks,one of which is that even pet friendly hotels require pets to be confined to a crate when the owner isn't in the hotel room with the pet. And a roomy crate or cage can't easily be lugged to the hotel room and certainly isn't an option on an airplane.

I've seen soft sided dog crates. They are understandably pretty expensive, an a bit overbuilt for a laid back kitty. But while I was picking up sneakers in Kmart today I came across this for only $22.



Hmmmm. Money saver, or waste of money? It would certainly fit in my luggage. But was it trash or treasure? I risked it and bought the thing.

I nearly knocked out my teeth popping it open.



Well, it's plenty roomy! It will fit a cat box, bedding, and bowls, even for a large cat. An upset cat could easily shred the thing, but I'm thinking therapy-type cats and bottle baby kittens who can't be left at home.



Ditzy likes it!

Problem: when I popped it open I did not pay attention to how it was folded. So while I was able to get it conveniently flat again I was unable to figure out how to get it in a disc shape again. I'm hoping Mark will take up the challenge and show me once again that I am simply incapable of following printed directions.

It seems like I got my $22 worth. The door zips shut it is roomy and lightweight. I'm thinking of taking a cat with me to AWFNJ (maybe) so we'll see if I get to try it out. Well...if a cat gets to try it out.

Post note: This is not for the cat to spend a long time in. It's for the cat to be enclosed in for safety reasons when one is not in the hotel room (with, of course, the "do not disturb" sign up on the door anyway).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I got two soft-sided crates at Target and ended up giving to a friend for her smaller dogs. I found larger ones at Kmart that look like the ones in your photo. Guess what, I can't get them back into disc shape either and so the aforesaid friend gives me grief about it.