Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Your wish...


... is my command. Here are the collars I make for Nick, after years of experimentation. The plastic collar is airline tubing for fish tanks. You can also get it in a nice soft (flexible) blue-green. The connectors come in packages of 6 to 12. I purchase the tags from Animal Care Equipment and Services (go to products, click on care and housing, then click on ID bands and tags. Sorry, can't link directly to the Jiffy Tags). They are a bit pricey at .70 each, but they are worth the price because everything (tag, laminatation) is cut to size, it comes with a ring, and when the cat comes home without a collar, I just open up the drawer and make another in a few moments. Click on the photo for a larger image.

Should you require cheap, cheap, cheap, buy paper key tags and put clear tape over the writing. You'll need to replace these if they get too wet, but they do last a long while, and you can get them at your office supply store.

This particular collar is rather old, which is fairly miraculous, since Nick usually loses a collar about every month or so. But he rolls around in the dirt less in the winter, and spends more time home sleeping. This one is so aged it has begun to yellow. Amazing. He must be getting old.Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nifty. thanks for posting this, I definitely need a batch of these :) the "what if they get out?!" thing occasionally keeps me up at night, yet collars and tags for 12 - that I know will get ripped off just around the house, nevermind if they got out - is way too pricey.

Anonymous said...

That's brilliant--thanks for posting that! I may have to make one (or a few, as he loses collars) for Salem. He's indoor-only but absolutely obsessed with getting out (he was indoor/outdoor when in foster care and never forgot it, I suppose), so I worry about him slipping out the door some day.