Sunday, January 08, 2006

Pooh and Piglet were delivered to their new home yesterday.


Next up: Tiger Tom. He needs a home. Posted by Picasa

Tiger Tom was dumped at our place late last summer. I noticed him when Nick started coming home with fight-marks on him. One night I pulled into the driveway and my headlights illuminated Nick and Tiger Tom crouched in the dark. I started putting food out on the porch. A few nights later I woke to cat sing-song, and came downstairs to find Nick and Tiger Tom yelling at one another through the window screen. Tom would bolt from the porch anytime I came out, so I assumed he was feral. I thought perhaps I would get him fixed, and keep him as a barn cat, since he had been around so long and had thus far avoided the danger of the road.

But one night I eased to the door open and he only ran to the top of the steps and halted. I talked to him awhile, and he began to mow in distress. Not Feral. I set a trap that week, and after catching a raccoon (who had already learned that food was being left regularly on the porch---I released her a few feet away from the house), captured Tiger Tom.

He proved to a be a big mush. He is the sweetest, quietest cat ever. He has a thick thick short fur coat that is incredibly soft (and does require combing due to the deep undercoat). After neutering and FeLV testing, I carefully introduced him to the other cats and he proved to be affable with all. This was quite a change after his regular show-downs with Nick, which goes to show how big a change neutering can cause on fighting among ferals in a wild colony. In fact, I can't let Tiger Tom out with Leo, because Leo backs him into corners. Leo, who is normally quite sweet with other cats, has decided Tiger Tom is one big male too many. Tiger Tom refuses to fight back.

So TT can probably go to any home, with or without other cats, that can offer him smooshing and combing on a regular basis. He will be a great friend. And after all he has been through, he deserves a great home.

No comments: