Thursday, January 19, 2006

200 cats taken from DeWitt home

When you read what the Central New York SPCA is dealing with, you end up asking, do I have space to offer?

Shelters reached out to help southern shelters during Hurricane Katrina. Can they reach out to help this shelter now that it is overwhelmed with over 200 cats?

I just sent an email offering to take two cats, in return for two cats I have adopted to a DeWitt resident (Hi Linda!). The email bounced back to me, "Over quota." I hope they are over quota because people are offering to help. I will re-send tomorrow night, to see if it gets through.

Two cats seems like nothing when you are looking at 200 cats. But when you are a staff member deciding who lives and who dies, two cats more cats saved can be the line between sanity and nightmares. Best of luck to them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really kind of you to give those cats a second chance. I know hoarders have a mental illness, but I'm sure the woman in the story thought she was doing the right thing. It's pretty sad she had to resort to stealing food for the cats, so no wonder she had no spay/neuter/veterinary funds. Unfortunate that she left it so long before asking for help, though. I can't imagine the condition of a house with 200 cats and only 5 litterboxes :p

Wildrun said...

It's more like karma than kindness. My sister lives right near there, too. Reading about the food stealing hit me hard, too. Hoarding is a verified psychological illness. It's a pity that cats lend themselves so easily to it.

georg said...

It has always been hard to limit how many pets we have, because we do want to help the animals because we love them. Then I hear about something like this and feel very grateful that we have been able to limit our animals to what we can afford. Currently, 4 cats, one dog, and two humans live here.

I want to open my doors and say, "Welcome!" But I know my limits, as tiny as they are.

Anonymous said...

This is a terrible story, but I can understand how it happens, how someone just gets in so over his/her head until it's out of control. Part of me gets so angry at the hoarder, but then... I hope your offer gets through.