Sunday, March 30, 2008

One Ear is off to the vet



Kat, who feeds the Fast Food Ferals on weekdays, noted to me via email that she had seen One Ear, and he was limping badly.

There are only three cats on the north side of Route 13 nowadays: Vannie, One-Ear, and a new long furred brown-and-white guy. This weekend, Mark and I went to Ithaca College, where he handed off his car to me, and then I drove down to where the cats are fed on Route 13 to set two traps.

The lumber yard had only one vehicle in the parking lot, so I was able to pull the car up to where I could watch the traps. The sun was out, and I'd brought my laptop. I spent half my time working, and the other half sitting with my eyes closed, victim to the cold that just won't go away.

Vannie came out as soon as I walked away, sniffed the trap, glared toward the car, and walked away. I wouldn't have minded getting her for a rabies booster, but I was just as glad that she didn't fill up a trap. One Ear showed up about a half-hour later and walked right in.

It looks like his right rear paw is injured, rather than his leg. That's good. A broken leg on a feral cat probably would have meant euthanasia. An injured paw may just mean antibiotics and some cage rest. We'll let a vet (and an radiograph) decide. In the meantime, he has snorfed up a jar of turkey baby food here in his cage at Wildrun. I can't tell yet if he's actually feral-born or just a shy stray. His "missing ear" is just crumpled up due to ear mite scarring or a past hematoma. He has quite a few mats and will benefit from a good combing while under anesthesia.

At least he'll be off to the vet. Thanks, Kat, for letting us know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank You for this blog. I am glad I am not the only one dealing with a cat population such as the ones we see. I have no organization. I just feed approx 20 outside cats plus have 2 indoor cats... I also live in NY (not the city). I'd love any advice you can give me on how to contact people for free spay/neuter.. I have too many females to let this go on.. I have an e-mail link on my blog..
Vonnie's Voice