Saturday, June 16, 2007

Saturday hopefulness



If you have weekends off, Saturday mornings are always so hopeful. There's a whole weekend ahead to get things done...things you just can't find time for during the week. This morning Mark called up through the floor grate... "Time to get up!" and I thought, "how sweet, he wants me to get up so we can spend some time together." Then he added "Chris will here in a half hour to dig trees," and my pleased laziness turned into an immediate leap from bed to pick up scattered newspapers from the living room floor and run the vacuum cleaner before even getting properly dressed. I'm sure Chris could care less if the house is cluttered early on Saturday, but I prefer not to look like a complete and utter slob if I can somehow avoid it.

Ah, Saturday.

I could see projects all around me---the office that needs cleaning, the sewing machine that needs fixing, more painting in the cat facility--but first came the "treading water" tasks. Pick up the kitchen and wipe down the counters. Take out the trash, load up the truck, chat with a neighbor on the road (did I know a girl walking her dog just down the road had been attacked by a fox that Monday--what was my opinion on the likelihood of the fox having rabies--and yes the girl is having the rabies series...), drive out the transfer station where I was told "bring in posters of your cats for adoption!!!!, dump the trash, go to the long way home so I could pick up some heat-tolerance petunias to replace the limping pansies in the cat facility window boxes, come home, pull out pansies, plant petunias, give the pansies a second shot at life in the cat garden in the shade....

Wow, and now it's almost 3:00 pm.



The cat garden (cemetary) is shaping up, after all the hard work everyone put into it on our Work-And-Party Weekend.



Does anyone know what this is? I'm pretty sure the chipmunks planted it. I'm fearing that I could be letting some loathsome weed take root.



Here is what the root system looks like on a smaller bunch. Looks like it could really be a pain to uproot when it's large. Do I keep it to see if it flowers, or rip it out? There are about ten bunches planted randomly in my gardens. I pulled out all but two. I don't find them anywhere growing "naturally" so I wonder if these are something the chipmunk stole from the bird feeders and planted?





Well, I'm sure the cats would like some company, so I'm off. Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mystery plant looks like
Bishop's weed(goutweed).
Rip it OUT, it is VERY invasive.Left alone, it spreads and chokes out other plants.
Your garden looks very nice. I really enjoy your blog.
A fan in Nova Scotia

Susan Greene said...

We do have Bishops weed unfortunately. This is taller than that. So far it stands at least 20" tall. It's a single stem plant, although it appears as a bunch here because I assume a chipmunk planted a whole cheekload of seeds.