Thursday, November 24, 2005

Springtime in the winter?


Yesterday morning I discovered this visitor when I got up for my morning coffee. I assume it went through its life cycle in our house, because it's been cold out and there's snow on the ground. Obviously it didn't just flit in. But the question is...now what do I do with it? Why is it that I would easily squish a spider or a torpid wasp, but I can't just bring myself to squish this little beauty or put it out in the snow to freeze? I contemplated it all through coffee...such nonrational conflicts about life and death. Ultimately I invited it to step onto my finger and set it gently in our pantry on the garlic in the window, and I will look up its life cycle on the web. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had a chameleon live on my teacart for several months. The only reason I finally put it outside was that we got kittens and I knew they would kill it. It used the plant lights to sun itself, took water from the African violet dishes, and I presume it ate bugs. Another chameleon lived in my living room, in the cluster of plants in the corner.

I rescue spiders, beetles, centipedes, and millipedes all the time. I keep saying I'm going to buy one of those vacuum rescue things but I keep forgetting to do it.

As for putting an insect out in the snow--if its life cycle indicated that wouldn't be where it should be--I wouldn't know what to do because of the cats. Good luck.