Thursday, October 12, 2006

Sign of the times.

I have a Yahoo account. I really like Yahoo.

For years, when I have logged into Yahoo each day, front and center was News.

NEWS!

Now front and center are neat videos. Just now I logged in and was treated to a link to a video of Lego-type people riding someone's neat homemade rollercoaster.

As a civilization, we are in real trouble. We've gone from News to fast-moving Lego people as Your Top Story Today.

The next time someone tells me I am a fool for helping an elderly person with 14 feral cats and kittens, I'll think of the dummification of Yahoo, and pat myself on the back for helping someone free themselves of the slavery of months and months of finding homes for unwanted kittens every single year.

Yahoo used to keep me updated on what was up in the world. Now I have to go click for news, but I can view "fun" videos without effort. In this new age, anyone who tells me I'm wasting my time "just" helping people with cat problem should go play with their TV remote for 1/2 hour, and then come back and tell me (really!) again that I'm wasting my time.

(Post-note, a.m. - What a little rant! :) I still love Yahoo, but I hope it doesn't slide so far into the entertainment league that it stops being my source for what's happening each day).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're incredible doing all that you do. You've just saved that older woman from becoming overwhelmed and helped her find homes for her cats.

Anonymous said...

There's probably a way for you to customize your Yahoo home page so you still see news when you log in. Off the top of my head, you might try editing some settings in the "My Yahoo" section and see if that will change things.