Sunday, April 22, 2007

Sunny Sunday in Ithaca

Today was beautiful, so I ran into Ithaca today to feed the Fast Food Ferals. After banging the food can and the top of the feeding station loudly to signal the arrival of food, I waited quietly on the path to see if anyone would show up. After about five minutes I was rewarded with the sight of Vannie (who stopped and would come no closer once she noticed me).



Then I went down to the Earth Day celebration at the Farmer's Market. Mark was manning a compost booth from 11-5, and I try to stop by...I know from experience no one wants to spend a whole day volunteering and have a meager crowd! Not to worry. The lot was packed, and so was the pavilion. I was surprised, however, to find my earnest rebel husband had been transformed...



...into the Wizard of Compost.



The best part was that his wand was a thermometer for checking the temperature of your compost pile. (And yes, I will pay for blogging that photo, I'm sure).



I stopped at the Greenstar booth for a metal mug (reuseable) full of chili (spoon, compostable).




Mark (in mortal attire)found me while on his break, and we stopped by the booth for Greensprings Natural Cemetary. Mark spent many years in the cemetary business, and because he is also a composting professional (natural cemetary = compost), I could not resist buying him a t-shirt (plus I knew I would owe him for blogging him in Harry Potter attire). I could not find a photo of the t-shirt online, but it says "Save a Forest. Plant yourself."

On the way home I stopped by Earlybird Farm, which had opened for the season. YES, it IS spring!

(NOTE TO COMPOSTER: "Compostable plant markers." Is this available/in the works? I found plant markers from last year in front of the barn. Is there a market to make these from corn? Would they last three months, before degrading, in a six pack or plant pot?)







I bought three six packs of violas. Speaking of "sustainability," next year I need to start my own plants, and I do plan to start my own catnip again this year.

Once I got home, I added the plants to the cat facility window boxes, and re-painted the boxes. I didn't bother with the window frames, because I'm going to replace those windows with plexiglass as soon as possible, and will scrape and paint the window trim then.




I returned snow shovels to the barn (for the second time this year, and hopefully for good). Our two hens were yelling for attention, peeking over the edge of the wall from one of their nest boxes, so I went in to say "hi." They had presented us each with a gift:





I wish you all a beautiful Sunday as well.

1 comment:

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Great pictures! And I love windowboxes :)