Sunday, April 08, 2007

Cayuga Dog Rescue --- WOW.


Yup, WOW.
Did I say wow?
Okay, how about "Amazing?"

I can't believe I forgot my camera.

The fundraiser for Cayuga Dog Rescue at the Museum of the Earth last night was an incredible success. It was beyond a success. I would estimate over 400 people came. They ran out of auction paddles and started handing out 8x10 sheets of paper with numbers handwritten on them. The place was packed, and this was in a spacious museum! The food was excellent but ran out early...no one seemed to mind. Red Newt Winery seemed to have brought along more than enough wine to last the evening...good foresight on their part!

We saw lots of people we know...CDR, Wildrun, and TCSPCA fosterers, quite a few vets and vet techs. With hundreds of people attending, it was a great venue for people watching. I normally hate crowded events, but for some reason this one was a blast.

Maybe just knowing that it was a fundraiser for CDR and seeing the incredible success made it all worth it. I have to imagine that the CDR organizers and volunteers are experiencing a wonderful glow this morning!

They had a large silent auction, set up in at least three different museum rooms, and an art auction with a great auctioneer (it was still going on when we left). If all the items were donated, whomever did their outreach is a wizard, and kudos to all the local businesses and artists who donated the MANY items.

They had goodbye gifts for both people and pets (Sadie has already eaten part of hers; the above photo is what is left this morning). Their tickets were lovely...I wish I could have kept mine.

And Mark may have scored home for one or two of our gregarious cats. He introduced me to a woman who manages a nonprofit venue (I won't mention the name here, in case they choose not to adopt) with a big building and lots of public contact. Afterward, I said to Mark "Do you suppose they would like a cat for their building to mush up to visitors?" Later Mark came wandering back and said "Guess what? She's interested!" So hopefully we'll have her out soon to see if any of our cats are a match!

The fact that the veterinary community was so well represented at the event speaks volumes for this group.

It was just a classy evening. I hope this enables Cayuga Dog Rescue to maintain or expand their good work, and that it inspires other animal organizations (yours truly, and our own TCSPCA) to similarly reach out to the community. It's clear that Greater Ithaca was searching for something fun to do this Saturday night, and they found it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a GREAT event. Sorry that I missed it. I hope they raised lots of much-needed and well-deserved money. Time to start planning a fund raiser, huh Susan???

Anonymous said...

I missed it too. (I'm in Baltimore for the week. I brought my foster kittens with me.) I really wanted to go; sounds like they did really well.

Donna, don't you open very, very soon?

Susan - thanks for keeping up with the blog. I really enjoy it.

Judy

dogfreak said...

you just made my day! thanks so much for the incredibly supportive comments on our fundraiser last week. one of our co-organizers came across your blog and sent it to me...I am so delighted that folks had such a wonderful time. we were absolutely blown away by the turnout and the incredibly positive energy that folks brought. we raised over $10,000 for our pooches, which will either cover our basic expenses for close to a year, and/or allow us to do some surgeries for dogs that we otherwise could not afford. we're already thinking about next year! thanks again and warmest wishes on your rescue work- susan, co-director of cayuga dog rescue