Saturday, April 21, 2007

4:00 am cat food research

Yeah, yeah, I should be asleep. But I fell asleep on the couch, woke up at 3:00 am, went out the rotate the cats, discovered some minor bear damage (I hope Mark still had some film left in the remote camera, because he left it on and it was taking pictures of me looking at the garden this afternoon!), forgot to bring in food for the house cats, took Sadie out for a walk when I went back out to fetch food (Science Diet Senior 7+) and by then I was wide awake. So I got on line to figure out what the hell I'm going to feed my cats.

I came across this at SearchWarp:


When selecting the best dry food for your dog, why is it better to go with the chicken meal than the pure chicken?
Chicken meal is simply chicken that has been baked to remove bacteria and other toxins. Chicken is simply pure chicken.

What people dont know about chicken, is that it is made mostly of water. If a label on a bag of dog food says %60 whole chicken, that is quite misleading as that does not take into account how much of that %60 of chicken is left after baking it to remove unwanted substances!

When the label on the bag says %60 of chicken meal, your getting more of the chicken because the product has already been baked to remove unwanted affects such as bacteria.


Well, hey. Because I was just considering Felidae as a possible food for the house cats. They list chicken meal as the top ingredient, and I was concerned about that. Guess I should not be?

I'm sort of stuck on the facility cats. I have a stack of Science Diet dry, all of which contain glutens of some sort. I can't afford to feed 25 cats and kittens $35 dollar a bag food. If I don't feed the Science Diet (which I current receive at an affordable rate), I need to feed a grocery-grade food ($10 a bag range).

Reading over some of the bags of food I have, it looks like some may be manufactured in Mexico? (?????). Where are the fillers for those manufacturers coming from?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely know where you're coming from on this. I try to feed all wet food, but use kibble for treats, and I've settled on Natural Balance Ultra. The ingredient list is quite good, and it's not one of the foods subject to any recalls. They've also got a rebate program -- if you send them UPCs/register receipts from 50 bags of cat food, Natural Balance will send you a check for $100. That works out to about one free bag for every ten you buy.

Regarding Felidae, I think it's also great. It was what I used to feed back when I only had one cat, but I stopped because it was increasingly hard for me to find in my part of town. They too have a breeder/rescue program -- for every ten bags you buy, they'll give you one free one. I don't think they advertise that on the website, so be sure to drop them an email about it so they can send you a frequent buyer card.

Whichever food you choose (if it's not one of the above), email them to find out if they've got any special programs for breeders/rescues. They don't usually require any special documentation. I just found out that Pet-Ag has a free KMR program, too -- that should save me some money.