Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mountaintop Greenhouses, Tioga Center

For Mother's Day, my mom wanted to come over to my region and visit some of our local garden centers. Most importantly, she wanted to visit this one, the very fun and different Mountaintop about eight miles down the Halsey Valley from our place.

(click photos for larger images)





Please, don't buy your plants from "big box" stores that are killing our local businesses! It was so depressing to see my very favorite business in Ithaca with a vacant front lot empty of flowers, while Lowes, Home Depot, etc. have waves of underwatered plants, half of which will be thrown out, that they bought at painfully low prices from out-of-region growers.

I went to another local favorite in Ithaca, but to compete they have stopped selling six packs and now sell primarily larger 4" pots at a higher price, and the price of their (gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous) baskets is out of my range. They have had to target a different market to survive...and I'm not it.

But I found Mountaintop!








Come on out to our place, stop by for our Working Weekend, and zip on down to Mountaintop to help a a neighbor with a beautiful business. They grow all their own plants, and the prices are lower than you will find anywhere (six packs for less than $2, and hanging baskets for $13.99). And many, many greenhouses with masses of healthy plants. By after next weekend it should be warm enough for your outdoor plants.

If you are coming from Binghamton/Owego, stay on 17C and travel west past Owego. As you come down the hill into Tioga Center, turn right on Halsey Valley Road (if you go over the bridge in Tioga Center, you've gone too far). They are just a few miles up on the left. If you are coming from Ithaca, take 34/96 to Spencer, turn left onto 96, turn right on Halsey Valley just past Spencer, and go about 11 miles and they'll be on your right. It's a gorgeous drive, and as I say, we are on the way!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mountain Top Greenhouses is located at 425 Halsey Valley Road in Tioga Center, New York 13845. Worth The drive from Ithaca, Binghamton, or Elmira. The phone number is (607)687-8823. Five greenhouses full of annuals, perennials, hangingbaskes and vegetables.

Stacia Spearbeck said...

My friend Sandy LaCombe referred me to buy my herbs from Mountain top. I did just that and I keep going back. This is my 3rd year buying from Mountaintop and I have to say, I'm hooked! The quality is amazing everything I've bought from them comes up bigger and better the following year! The prices are cheap and can't be beaten. If your looking to get more for your money and great quality, Mountaintop is for you!
Stacia Spearbeck

Elizabeth J. Neal said...

What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. Greenhouse