Sunday, March 12, 2006

There's more of me to love...


Rocket's new home is still interested in her but...paranoid me...I want to take her to the vet to run some basic blood tests on her. I do know there are cats that can put on weight fast. When we were switching foods, trying to find a good one for our household, Ditzy put on so much weight in ten days I took her to the vet, certain she had an issue. The vet examined her all over, looked at me carefully, and politely said "Susan, I hate to question your judgement, because I know you know your cats, but I think she's just....fat." Sure enough, we switched food, and in another ten days, Ditzy was skinny again. Posted by Picasa

But I would still feel better knowing there wasn't some blood sugar or thyroid issue already rearing its head, and also to see if she loses a bit of weight here this week (since she'll be free-feeding the low-cal diet, and will be subjected to the stress of a new household). If she loses a quarter to a half pound, and her blood tests are normal, I'll feel good about adopting her out.

Rocket's foster home decided to adopt their other foster kitty, Fred (formerly Thyme), and they gave me a generous donation to cover Fred's vet bill when he was sick, so I'll use that to make sure Rocket gets her healthy pet check. That donation had a lot to do with my decision to just. make. sure. When fate gives you money, perhaps there's always a reason for it.

She's found the food bowl on the bow window ledge, and just took a nibble...and didn't pour it down her throat. So I don't think she has piglet problems. Thank goodness. Some cats just eat and eat and eat.

No comments: