Saturday, March 11, 2006

Dreamin'


I often play what I call "Let's Pretend." It took Mark a bit of time to realize that this was three-quarters game and only one-third real. I think I gave him a few heart attacks when we first met, when I would say "What if..." about situations that were incredibly implausible...as if we could actually take them on.

He' s become a pretty good "What if" person himself. Before we bought our current place, we looked a quite a few houses that would have to be totally gutted and were very close to unliveable. We'd sit there and actually discuss what it would take to turn the place into the home of our dreams, as if we were actually going to do it. Gradually conversation would convince ourselves that it had been a wonderful game of let's pretend...but it was time to move on.

Let's pretend is harmless and fun, so long as both parties realize they are playing it.

Like, "What if I were to buy Schoolhouse #2 and turn it into a cat facility and spay/neuter clinic?" Which is what I think whenever I drive by Schoolhouse #2 which is less than a half mile from our place. Of course, even if I had the $100,000 to pull such a thing off (keeping in mind one would need to outfit a surgery), there is NO parking, it's only five feet from the road, and who knows what the place looks like inside. There may not even be a septic system, and the lot drops off sharply immediately behind it, and a leach field may not even be a possibility.

It is the original schoolhouse for this area. It ought to be fixed up while it still can be. However, I'm not the person with the funds to do it.

But...it's fun to dream.

Posted by Picasa


Looks pretty sturdy, doesn't it? Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Strayer said...

Gorgeous! Perfect spay/neuter clinic to be. I do the same thing. Wish money was free, handed out in big bags to people wanting to use it to build and run spay/neuter clinics. Wouldn't that be nice?