Sunday, March 26, 2006

The ghosts of the business highway strip...


Last year when I attended this conference--at a different hotel--I went out to my truck the second morning to find a feral cat crouched beneath it. This year, I went out the second morning, and a bedraggled gray and white cat was sniffing around this storm drain. He slipped away before I could get my camera set, and I ended up with just this this furry shot of his head looking back at me as he trotted off (two ears and gray and white face are all you will see here). When I walked across the parking lot, he was gone. I left some food where I had seen him, but that was mostly to console myself, rather than the cat. Given the large number of Canada geese stalking around, it's more likely they found it before the cat returned on his rounds.

These ghosts are on every business strip, in every town. If they are lucky, someone will say "You are my problem," and take the area under their protective wing, getting the cats fed, fixed, and where possible, homed.

No comments: