Monday, December 26, 2005

Cats, Christmas, family and friends.


I hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend, and are headed into a great New Year. Alden brought the facility cats new feather toys (and me a bottle of wine). Mark got them a label maker, so I can replace the hand-written pieces of tape on the cat facility cupboards with something more professional looking, and also can label my father's clothes so they won't go astray in the assisted living center. I also got THREE of these, which fulfilled my request for indestructable, ultra-washable, warm, and nice looking clothes. Luckily they were available in more mainstream colors when Mark purchased them.

Last year our friends Martha and Hilary made us the fleece blanket in this picture. This year they brought us another with autumn leaves (Ditzy is currently sleeping on it. So much for OUR gift). We had two breakfasts on Christmas. One for Mark's parents (11:00 am), and one for my mom and sister (2:00 pm). No turkey this year! We had pancakes, scones, venison sausage that had been a gift, fried potatos...Mark said if he had to cook, for once he wanted to cook what he enjoyed---breakfast!!!

I want to thank everyone for their gifts and their company. And I want to also let the readers here all know how much it means to me to see how many people return again and again, even though it is just a little cat blog. Having readers means we try harder here. We look a little closer, take more photos, think more about what we are doing. It makes a big difference to not be "alone." Scrutiny helps.

Today I went to visit my father (along with my sister) at his living center. We purchased him clothes at the mall (!!!! the day after Christmas! Egad what crowds), arranged for him to have a haircut and manicure, and visited a bit.

Tomorrow the kittens must be at the vet at 8:40 am, and then work from 10:00-6:00. It was a busy holiday, but I'm glad we got to see family and friends. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anita said...

Merry Christmas! I love seeing all your photos . . .My husband is animal phobic, but I'm not. I come here to get my fix, ya know.

I wish I could take home all these adorable kitties.

Your Xmas gifts sound great - - I'd like those Land's End tops too!

Niobium said...

to see how many people return again and again

Honestly, Susan, you make it all seem so easy.

I would love to involve myself in this type of rescue work, but I don't know where to start. It's all so overwhelming--no "start here" has show itself to me. I guess if I saw strays in my neighborhood* my first response would be to feed them, but I never see any. As a matter o' fact, the only other cat I see is my bitchy neighbor's. I know there must be a feral population here--there's a huge one in the next town--but because it's so rural where I live, I don't see starving cats walking the streets.

Then there's the whole money thing...Wolf and I don't have two pennies to rub together, so going out and buying food, medicine, and vet care just seems so out of reach. So I sit and do nothing, reading blogs and mailing lists, thinking to myself "someday."

Niobium said...

*there are eight houses/trailers in my neighborhood, including my own. If I were to start to feed the cats, I think mine would be the only ones eating and getting fatter than they all ready are.

I just read over what I wrote and I should say that I know it can't be easy, the work, time, dedication, and emotional investment you make with each cat. You're writing is beautiful and that's why it seems so easy.