Friday, November 16, 2007

VCA Library

I have set some resolutions for myself which I plan to put in place BEFORE the New Year. One of those is making this blog a bit more informative for feral cat folks.

As I deal with problems in my own cat facility, I want to discuss them here. That was one of the purposes of this blog, but in the runabout of day-to-day, that goal has gone by the wayside.

So today, as I determined that I need to deal more comprehensively with ear mites in my cat facility, I stumbled across a pretty decent library from VCA.

The URL is http://www.petshealth.com/dr_library/earmite.html for the earmite article.

Many vets I have encountered recommend ivermectin and Revolution for ear mites (see the bottom of the article above). Since a cat facility has to be treated regularly for fleas and internal parasites as well as ear mites, Revolution tackles a variety of problems at once.

In my opinion, Revolution is well worth the cost as it is packaged for cats. Revolution can be expensive, however, if you have more than the average number of cats. There are places on the web that provide information on how to cut the large dog dose to treat a large number of cats. If you have a large number of cats, you might want to consult with your veterinarian about that option. Your vet may or may not be willing to examine or discuss the issues, as "off-label" use of chemicals and drugs is a twisty path for medical professionals.

The VCA articles above briefly discusses off-label use of certain chemicals for the control of ear mites.

"Off-label" use of chemicals and drugs (and giving advice about off-label use) is tricky stuff. First of all, all drugs and chemical are to be used as directed on the label. In most cases, use of a product contrary to its labeling can be illegal. People can take risks with their OWN lives (and their own "property") and may choose to use products off-label, but it is strictly illegal to use products off-label on someone else's person or property especially in a commercial manner. It may be illegal to use such chemicals AT ALL on some else's person or property.

For example, I can spray hornet spray on a hornet nest on my own home. But if I run around offering to spray other people's hornet nests for a couple of bucks, I need a commercial pest control operator's license. If I used that same hornet spray as a "skunk repellent" (it ISN'T, by the way) this would be an "off-label" use and would be illegal. If I wanted to try hornet spray as a skunk repellent under my own deck (again, it ISN'T a skunk repellent) that would be my own choice. A stupid one, but my own business if I'm the only one at risk. But to utilize it as such on someone else's property isn't permitted.

The reason for this is obvious: chemicals and drugs can cause injury or death if used improperly.

First, off-label "advice" can be dangerous and may not even work. I often hear people talk about using mothballs to repel certain critters. Mothballs seldom work, and some people are deathly allergic to napthalene, the ingredient in mothballs. If you throw boxes of mothballs down your walls, getting them out again if you discover they are making you or your family ill can be impossible. I've read web pages that recommend ammonia in chimneys to rid yourself of raccoons. You may end up with dead baby raccoons if the ammonia is so overpowering that mom leaves the kids behind, or the ammonia kills the babies so mom leaves them there. Ammonia can pack a punch to you as well, in an enclosed space.

There is also the double whammy of changing both the chemical AND the dosage for a particular application. There is a very good reason why chemicals and drugs contain instructions and/or dosages. If you use dog Revolution on a cat (an off-label use) for mites, not fleas (another off-label use) by cutting the dosage for a smaller animal (another off-label use) you have significantly increased the risk to your pet. Make a difference between .1 cc or .01 cc, and you've got a very sick cat.

So you'll notice on this blog, I don't make recommendations for off-label use, even those I might utilize myself on my "own cats. " I may mention that I've heard of certain options and say "consult with your vet" but I'm not in a position to share dosages, etc. If you have a good relationship with your vet, the next time you make an appointment for a visit, you might ask for 10 extra minutes of time for your vet to explain the intricacies and pitfalls of "off label" use of drugs. If there is a chemical or drug you use in high quantities (wormer, for example) you might ask your vet for advice on the variety of options there are, out there.

Your vet also may be able to sell you larger quantities of a wormer for a lower price, etc. if you both sit down and work out a "herd health" protocol. This is a term that relates to those of us who deal with the very special medical problems that come with having a large number of animals (whether cows, horses, goats, cats, or dogs) in close proximity to one another. How you treat an upper respiratory in an adult cat in a single cat household may vary from how you treat an upper respiratory in a kitten when you have ten kittens! Your vet needs to know your special circumstances to treat your animals most effectively.

This VCA library seems to be a great resource. I'm looking forward to checking out their other subjects.

If you have a favorite pet/medical library you've found online, please send the URL my way (or search words for Google). I'm going to add a list of library links in my sidebar. I'm only going to add particularly excellent ones. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As always, interesting posts. I'm sending this link along because I've found it helpful on a number of occasions. http://www.marvistavet.com/html/the_pet_web_library.html

I was having a terrible time with relatively young cats with teeth problems. After the 3rd one had nearly all his teeth removed and my vet couldn't tell me what was happening, I found this site. I stumbled across Plasma Cell Stomatitis, which is what my cats were suffering from. At least I knew what was going on from there on out. What a relief, although I wouldn't wish this condition on anyone!

Connie/cagorl@bellsouth.net

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was going to recommend MaristaVet! I guess that means they're good :) I often pull information from them when people want descriptions of specific illnesses or surgical procedures.

I guess I can recommend Veterinary Partner, part of the VIN network: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/

This site seems to offer access to the non-public VIN database: http://nwindhamvet.com/site/view/81864_VINLibrary.pml

It's a great idea to put these links together in one place... I'll put a special link to this site in a blog entry once the list is completed (I already have you listed in my regular blogroll, of course).

P.S. I'd bet that VCA library would get more traffic if they spelled "veterinary" correctly in their website page title.

Anonymous said...

A new Cat forum has been created!

Good news! A new forum, Catz r Fun, has been created. This forum was created so that those who wanted to continue the cat posts would still have the opportunity to do so. Thus, the Catz r Fun forum was born.

Please take time to visit the new forum and chat away! Here is the link:

http://www.catzrfun.com/

Thank you! dj