Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Soup Diet

In an attempt to keep from eating the heavy-duty weight-gaining not-so-healthy comfort food that Mark and I normally cook (or the prepared boxed food I eat), we decided that for a month, we would eat home made soup.

Yup, that's it. Just soup.

And it's actually been a pretty enjoyable experience. We have a pretty good cookbook library, and of course there is the internet.

Here is tonight's excessively easy recipe, although the price on shrimp appears to have skyrocketed. This one is actually spicy enough without the shrimp that navy beans or something similar could be substituted and it would still be a great soup. And you wouldn't be eating any little critters.

The wine is also optional--I don't have any to add. And I left out the onion, since there was salsa in the recipe already. I used Newman's Own mild salsa, and there's plenty left for salsa and chips. Oh yeah, there is no fresh cilantro/coriander, so I used dried. I wish I could blog an aroma, because this stuff smells incredible.

Title: Baby Shrimp Tomato Soup
Keys: Seafood
Yield: 6

Ingredients:

1 x 28 oz can stewed tomato
1 cup mild salsa
1 med onion, chopped
2 clv garlic, chopped
1 tbl sugar
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 cup vegetable stock
1/2 cup red wine
1 cup cooked baby shrimp
1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander


Method:
In a large soup pot, combine the stewed tomatoes and their juice, salsa, onion, garlic, sugar, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, stock and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in shrimp and coriander and simmer until heated through.

I found this recipe on Food Down Under Here is their main database

Post dinner update: I would add only 1/2 cup salsa in the future (unless you like spicy!) and would add rice or beans in addition to the shrimp.

No comments: