Saturday, December 24, 2005

The meaning of Christmas


Pinky (whose more respectable name is Raphael) currently despises me. He is being treated for giardia with metronidazole, which is the nastiest tasting stuff in the universe. Take it from someone who tasted it. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Pinky is a faint flame-point Siamese cross who is very very shy, and is destined for the long-term cat room once the giardia is cleared up. He won't take a capsule, which means he gets his metro in liquid form, twice a day. This is not helping the taming process at all. When I open his cage, his little ears go flat. He doesn't have a mean bone in his body, so while he'll do anything to avoid me, he never swats or bites. I feel like a torturer. I cannot begin to express what this stuff tastes like. All I did was put my tongue to it and I began to gag. He gets a cc twice a day. Poor guy.

Shopping was almost painless today, which actually was a bit frightening. There were tons of parking spaces at the mall right near the entrance. While there were lots of people there, I only had to wait a short while for a salesperson to help me at one store, and every where else there were no lines at all.

On the way home, I realized it was Christmas Eve, so if I needed anything from the grocery store, I needed to get it before 6:00 pm.

Which reminded me of the very first family Christmas that Mark and I hosted.

We had recently purchased our first house. Mark had the day off, and I was working dispatch for a police department. We both worked odd shifts and were used to shopping at the stores during the evening and sometimes even late at night. We had grown used to grocery stores that were open 24 hours a day. And we both usually had to work holidays, and just assumed others did, too.

Mark came into town to purchase Christmas dinner supplies on Christmas Eve...and discovered that the grocery stores had closed at 6:00. He came to see me at work to break the news. I refused to believe it. I got on the phone and called every store.

And indeed, they were all closed. We had my entire family coming the next day, and we hadn't even purchased a turkey. We didn't have much money, but we had saved to be able to have my family over. I was very proud to finally be grown up enough to have the family over for this yearly gathering.

Then Mark said "I can spin some pizzas..."

No way, NO WAY, was my family eating pizza on this very first Christmas!

So I picked up the phone and called my boss, who had also been my landlord in the past. I counted him and his wife Cathy as friends as well as supervisors. But he was still, well, my boss, you know.

He had once made a joke about having two turkeys in his freezer. Maybe he still had an extra one. Mark was the one who was now appalled. He couldn't believe I might beg Christmas dinner off of a variety of people. But I knew Norm and Cathy. They were the kind of people who would think that the very reason they had a second turkey was precisely to help someone out in a situation like this.

Also, I was a police dispatcher. You had two tools. A radio. And a phone. I'd learned that there were very few dilemmas that could not be solved via the use of a phone. (Now of course, add computers, video survellience, and the Internet).

When I called Norm, his extended family was visiting. I could hear the laughter in the background when they realized that Susan had called to be saved from a serious case of bad planning. It was friendly laughter, all the same.

He told me to come on over. They had not only an extra turkey, but supplies for an entire second Christmas dinner. Right down to an extra can of cranberry relish and stuffing! Maybe it wasn't stuffing. Maybe they had potatos. I think they even had a frozen apple pie that we didn't need because my mother was bringing dessert.

So Mark and I drove on over when I got off my shift at 11:00 pm that night. The party there was still in full swing, and our arrival made for more gaity. The pantry was thrown open. We went home laden with supplies and a true Christmas gift...the gift of friendship. They refused to take any money. And the next day, my family had a wonderful Christmas dinner, with all the trimmings.

Norm passed away last year from cancer. He was only 47. If ever a man deserved to live to be a hundred, it was Norm. He was the kindest, most generous person I've ever met.

In that story somewhere, is the meaning of Christmas.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Pinky :( Nasty bug, nasty cure. You tasted the metro?! Dang. I can barely stand the smell. Ick, just thinking about it is almost enough to make me gag.

Nice story about xmas dinner. Happy Holidays :)

Wildrun said...

Hi hubcats!

I have fenbendazole as well. I use that on the new cats (for example, I've been treating Rhett and Scarlett with it, and they are not allowed near any catbox other than their own). I had a mom cat and kittens that had it this spring (without my knowing). I treated the mom/kits with Panacur once I discovered the problem, and they kept testing positive until they were run through six days of metro. I am now testing and treat (if needed) my cats before adoption, because it appears to be in my cat facility at this time. Pooh and Piglet had perfect stools, but tested positive during their "pre adoption check-up." I use metro for cats that I would like to send out with the best possibility of being totally clear because I've had a better result with it, and it has a shorter treatment length. Once Rhett, Scarlett, Pooh and Piglet are out of here into their new homes, I'm going to take all my remaining cats out of the 'cat room', fog it, and cage and treat them all before putting them back. Pinky is the first cat getting the "cage and treat" experience. I hate caging cats, but that appears to be the only way to keep them out of each other's cat boxes while they are all treated and the room is disinfected.

Cornell University also suggests giving them baths, but I can't imagine Fluffy putting up with a bath! I normally do my regular worming with Strongid, but I think from now on all new cats will get fenbendazole to hopefully head off any giardia issues in the future. I also worm everyone every two months, so I will be rotating Panacur into that.

This is the first time in 15 years of doing this that I've run into giardia in cats, although I did have it once myself in college (from lake water while rowing on crew).

Apparently the jury is out as to whether cats that are healthy acting should be treated for giardia, but if I'm putting them into home (especially if they have pet cats) I want them to be clear.

"Satan's spit." :) I like that.

Laura said...

Hi Susan, are you testing at a lab, or with the IDEXX test?
Should have known you would know about Panacur.
Strongid for rounds only takes one dose (repeated every 2-3 weeks), but it seems like a 3-5 day course is generally recommended with Panacur - so Strongid seems easier for rounds. Seems like it wouldn't suit your bi-monthly protocol.
I used to think Panacur killed everything except tapes - how far it's fallen....
How were you dosing for giardia?
You can fog for giardia? What sort of fog?

Anonymous said...

http://www.fenbendazole.info/Fenbendazole belongs to a category of drugs known as anthelmintics . Fenbendazole is often abbreviated "FBZ".
http://www.fenbendazole.info/