Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I hit a screech owl tonight....

...or shall I say, the screech owl hit me. There was a big thump and I looked up to see wings spread across my passenger side window. I turned around at the next driveway and went back. I could see the little guy sitting on the white line as car headlights flashed past. There was so much traffic on this normally quiet highway that I had to do a dash and a one-handed scoop to get him out of the way (not recommended with owls unless you know where their feet and beaks are. I would not have done this had he been bigger than a screech).

I discovered the wonders of Verizon 411. I was easily connected with Cornell University Companion Animal Hospital and they told me the wildlife staff on call would be waiting for me. Sure enough, they were right by the door when I drove in. As I filled out the relinquishment form for the fluffy little owl wrapped in a bright pink fleece blanket, one of the vet students said "You're the feral cat lady, aren't you."

Yeah. I'm the feral cat lady. (big smile..hard to believe there was a time when I shuddered to be called a cat lady). Now I consider it a compliment. (Oh, I am getting so old...)

I left them a stunned little owl (legs seemed ok; I hope his wings are ok too) and a small house check for $25 (i.e. Mark's and my shared funds...not my own money. Mark, we can write it off on our taxes! I'll count myself affluent when I can leave $100). In most other communities I would be on the phone calling overworked wildlife rehabbers for an hour or more to track down someone who was home to take this little guy. Then they would have to assess him and get him to a vet if needed. In Ithaca, I'm lucky that I can just call Cornell. They assess, treat, and place with a rehabber.

That little owl got vet care within less than a half hour of being hit by a truck. I know gold when I see it, and the Cornell wildlife clinic is gold. I can't use the Cornell companion animal clinic for my ferals because I need the flexibility to be in and out, and vets who can decide right on the table if they can or cannot give me a discount. I also haven't had the time or chance to create a relationship with them, and you really can't expect discounts without a good solid relationship with a vet.. But man, I don't know where I'd be without that wildlife clinic. I may have to find a place in my will for them (because lord knows, I'm only going to be worth money when I'm dead)

4 comments:

Niobium said...

I would have no idea where to take an owl if I hit it (or it me). I live in such a rural area with no vet schools anywhere around and the closest "city" is 30 miles away.

georg said...

The "regular" vet clinic was wonderful with Colin (one of our older cats), even though they did not find what is wrong with his spine. It felt good to drive the hour and try to do *something* to help and figure out what was wrong, rather than just watching him struggle to walk properly and learn to jump all over again. He had the number one neurologist in the country check him out, and we could not possibly have done more. Still don't know what the heck is wrong, and he's on a minimal dose of prednisone, Pepcid, and B12. He's lost a lot of weight and is walking only slightly better. But he's been this way for over a year, which is more than we thought we'd get on the onset.

I didn't know about the wildlife part. I'll remember that. I am glad I live close to such a fantastic resource.

Wildrun said...

Hey nobium

New Hampshire keeps a list of wildlife rehabbers online at:
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wildlife/wildlife_rehabbers.htm

Niobium said...

Hi Wildrun

I don't think all of the URL posted, but I'll search Fish and Game tomorrow. It didn't even occur to me to go to their site to find a rehabber. Thanks for the dope slap. *wink*