Friday, December 16, 2005

In memory of Jasmin













Photo from Animal Coalition of Tampa.

Jasmin was a great friend to all on the feral cat listserv on yahoo, where I met her. When I began the Cat Out Loud blog, under a pseudonym, she found her way there and was a frequent commenter. Feral cats and countless humans have lost a good friend with the unexpected passing of Jasmin Kung.

About her colony cats, she wrote to me:
I love them with every fiber of my being and they in turn reward me by finally letting them touch me. I know I'm "The Can Opener" and they do count on me for food :) They are happy, healthy, and content. This is what matters to me so much.

I learned of her death on the feral cats listserv, however it was the email I received today from her husband that brought me to real tears. He had gone through her personal email directory and contacted everyone there. My thoughts are with the family and friends of Jasmin. I understand her colonies are being cared for. She touched a great many lives, both human and feline, and I will miss her.

A tribute to her is on the front page of Alley Cat Allies

Post Note: You know, the more I read this, the more upset I get. Jasmin was a center of kindness in a world full of self-centeredness. She was never anything other than kind and thoughtful. Seeing her in "comments" or on feral_cats was such a joy, and yet I never met her in person. You must wonder...you MUST (meaning ME or anyone who knew Jasmin--or someone like her---do you know someone like her?)...what you can do yourself to make some small change in the world, so that a life like hers has a continuing legacy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't comment much, but do enjoy reading your blog. I clicked on the link to Ally Cat Allies, and turns out Ms. Kung was one of the founders of the rescue group I adopted my cat from. They are a special group of ladies, and I'm sorry to hear that she has passed away.