Sunday, May 07, 2006

Business Fair was great


Okay, I'll admit: sometimes it's good to crawl out of your hole and go rub elbows with the rest of the world. Really, really good. Posted by Picasa

Unfortunately, the public turnout was sparse because it was a beautiful Sunday in May, and Saturday had been crappy. So of course everyone stayed home to get yard work done. However, with not-so-many public folks to talk to, all the business and community folks chatted one another up. So:

I talked to the Spencer Agency Inc. about liability insurance for my cat facility.

Jack Wiiki about getting my laptop cleaned up ($30 a hour).

Steve Gorney, who tells me I can get a link on www.s-ve.com

Most of the people who were interested in chatting about wildlife "take care of their own problems" and I ended up spending more time explaining that some of the ways they were disposing of wildlife were illegal, rather than soliciting for wildlife business. Most people simply had no idea. Everyone was wonderful, and no one got defensive or insulted.

I spoke with quite a few people who might be interested in adopting a cat in the near future (many business cards left!)

One person told me there was a dog rescue type person who had been neutering the cats in the village proper, which is likely why I've had no calls there. I asked her to please try to get that person in touch with me.

I also spoke with people who have cat issues, or are helping people with cat issues.

One of those people happens to be the treasurer of a community nonprofit.

She took me over to meet the president of the nonprofit.

And in short order, we tentatively worked out an arrangement where a local cat spay/neuter program could fall under the 501(c)(3) umbrella of their group!!!!!

Which means any donations to the program would be tax deductible, so I could apply for grants for the program, and local vets who donate time and services could write off these services as a charitable contibution!

We could get local cats neutered, and it wouldn't be limited by my own pocketbook!

Yes, it is VERY good to crawl out from your little den and mingle with other people who can help you!!!!


Drat, I STILL didn't get that drape straight! Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic about the spay/neuter program!

Anonymous said...

It would be awesome if you could become a non-profit, or be under the tax umbrella of one!

Great display, btw.