Friday, July 27, 2007

On Protest, Shame, and Scorn.

Post-note, this article of relevance.

I've stayed away from "issues" blogging for a couple of years. It means I grind my teeth a lot, instead.

Over the past few weeks, there has been much in the news and across the internet concerning the Michael Vick case. When it first received press, I thought "Perhaps I should send Mr. Vick--whether guilty or not-guilty--a thank-you card for finally bringing the wider issue of pit bull fighting and its accompanied abuse to the forefront." This is a widespread issue that is well-known in the animal advocacy community. Its impact ranges from the hideous violence of the dog pit, to the flood of unwanted pit bulls that fill up shelter runs and rob shelter time and funds, and that have created countless pit bull rescues who spend many more countless hours and dollars saving and re-homing those who may be re-homed.

The Vick's case has resulted in numerous articles and heartfelt appeals, as well as YouTube clips intended to be scornful and amusing.

As time goes on, however, I see more focus on scorning or making fun of Vick, examining and in many cases demonizing aspects of hip-hop culture, than on education about pit bull fighting. Much of the "education" has focused on hip-hop, rather than the widespread abuse of pitbulls--not just as "professional" fighting dogs, but as trophy pets thrown into random street fights--that commonly cross racial boundaries.

And there are, of course, attempts to make a few bucks with T-shirts, etc., scorning or defending Vick.

As a humane officer, I was pulled in for a radio interview on a proposed pit bull ban in Tompkins County way back in 1987. The pit bulls I see attached to heavy chains in back yards or that come strutting out to meet anyone who pulls in a drive are connected to owners who are white, not black. This isn't a new problem. I'm no dog fighting expert, but this is an old, old, problem that has reached historic cultural levels in the United States. It's there, it's everywhere.

The neighbor with the pit bull on the chain that snarled and lunged at me along my own driveway right-of-way when I lived in West Danby, and who said---when I asked to meet the dog so I didn't need to face this daily threat---"But we want her to be protective," was white, not black. Every pit bull owner I met on complaints when I was a humane officer was white, not black. Every home I visited during a dog enumeration where pit bulls ran out aggressive at my truck was white, not black.

The New Jersey woman I spoke to two weeks ago--who had bred a litter of pit bull pups to sell as was astonished to find out she couldn't find anyone to buy them because "the local shelters are full of pit bulls that people can just adopt"--is white. Here is another person who is totally unaware of the problem of pit bulls, who nonetheless brought more into the world thinking "everyone wants one because they are cool." Will her unsold pups end up in a NJ shelter, I wonder?

Recently, someone reported to me that they had gone to a public meeting on feral cats in her area. She reported how many of the cat advocates were strident and impolite from the get-go--something that makes those of us who are trying to portray trap/neuter/return as a valid management tool wince in embarrassment. Uncontrolled anger and name-calling (without immediate provocation) causes our opponents to file us right back into the "crazy cat lady box."

Save abusive anger, I tell myself, for when the opponent shows disrespect or anger. Dealing out "abuse in defense of abuse", well---it doesn't work. If we are promoting reason, thoughtfulness and compassion, we should be reasoned, thoughtful, and compassionate.

As I laughed with other friends over the YouTube clips of pitbulls pooping on Vicks jersey, and a pitbull taking great care to methodically tear up a bear in a Vicks jersey, it wasn't until this morning that it I noticed that we were all falling into our usual American metamorphisis--we are turning this anti-dog-fighting campaign into an anti-Vicks campaign.

The larger-than-life and hideous crime of dog fighting (whomever is responsible in this case) is being overshadowed by our continuing desire to demonize a larger-than-life celebrity.

I sat and thought about the concept of shame for awhile. Shame has a place. An important place. Society has a duty, in fact, to dole out shame. Shame is punishment intended to alter the way people act. But I'm not sure a lot of the shame we deal out (myself included) really has that intention. Sometimes its intended to just gather all we "true believers" together so we can feel better about ourselves. So we can assure ourselves "We aren't like that."

We so often turn issues into something we can scorn someone about, or laugh together about, or use as our own opportunity to release our own anger at any number of frustrations in our lives. I recognized this in myself as I giggled over the YouTube videos. But why giggle in comraderie at a YouTube video while I roll my eyes at angry sentimental TNR protesters (with whom I share a very real and physical bond, and whose frustrations I understand, and whom I know are broke and tired)?

Is it because the YouTube scorn is more professionally packaged? Or because it's packaged so I can get a laugh out of it?

I sympathize both with the video creators and the TNR advocates. But how have the video creators managed to make me cheer along with them, while I silently beg the TNR advocates to "please grow up?"

So this morning I decided to go educate myself a bit on pit bull rescue. It seems that is a more productive way of channeling my frustration over the abuse of these gorgeous and generous animals. I haven't had much time, but I was impressed with these sites so far:

Pit Bull Rescue Central
Pitbull Rescue San Diego
Missouri Pit Bull Rescue

The Michael Vick website is down due to exceeding bandwidth. The pit bull rescues are not. Let go give the pitbull rescue in your region some well-deserved web traffic.

Post Note: The ASPCA just sent out a member emailing with this link to their pit bull education.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a syndicated column in yesterday's newspaper which pulled the expected, "Yes, dogs are important, but what about homeless and suffering children?" angle. That always bugs me, when people try to appropriate a very specific problem and turn discussion back to another problem, usually less specific. I agree that we need to help the less fortunate and we need to ensure children have an education, and we need to make sure humans around the world don't have to live in fear or under threat of persecution, but c'mon... can't we just have a few days where this one specific issue, dog fighting, is addressed? Caring about dog fighting doesn't mean I don't care about homeless children -- of course I do. I actually care that all helpless and voiceless victims are defended, and dogs are often a stepping stone on a larger path to violence and crime. Your blog entry, Susan, is sort of on a similar vein -- people can't seem to stand one single, clear-cut issue, and they need to stretch it and muddy it. I know it's not intentionally malicious, but I think the greater message ends up being lost.

Pampered Kittens said...

animal abusers should be treated an eye for an eye. it's a disgrace to humanity. I hope Vick is shamed to the point of humility and pays dues back to society with many hours of community service, probation, and of course a long jail sentence.