Saturday, June 30, 2007

Let's talk towels

OK, on the topic of being a good wife to your house...what about towels?

How do people keep their towels looking like this EVERY DAY?



If I arrive (even unannounced) at other people's houses they have clean bathrooms. The toilet is always spotless, their towels are neatly hung, there is no dust anywhere, their hairbrushes, for God's sake, have no HAIR in them...

How? Please, tell me how! Our towels are usually rumpled, and there is always one hanging over the shower curtain. Mark is from the "if you use a towel rumple it so the next person know's it's dirty" school. I am from the "refold hand towels neatly so no one will know but always make sure there are absolutely clean towels for showers for houseguests" school. When there are no guests, I toss the damned things in the dryer for five minutes and rehang them if they were just used to dry off from the shower. I mean, it's just the two of us.

I would also like to point out the only reason we have nice towels of matching colors is that we ask for them for Christmas. This batch my mom got us. I said "if you want to increase my life quality by 100%, buy us nice moss green colored towels...a few every year." And at Christmas she presented us with a whole set, which I hope she managed to get a few bucks off on sale, because it was a lot of towels. The previous decade our mint green towels had been supplied by Mark's sister, I believe.

What do your towels look like right now? If your bathroom is clean everyday, PLEASE share this secret with me. Between intermittant hairspray on the floor and cat and people hair, I can clean my bathroom one day and have it look like it hasn't been cleaned in a week a single day later.

Do people leave a new hairbrush out for guests and put the ones they REALLY use away? If someone needed a hairbrush in our bathroom they would drop ours in disgust, I swear.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you. My bathrooms are never clean for more than a day. I put my diabetic cat in one of them to feed him his prescription food and he sheds a lot, so there are always fur balls floating in the corners. And my hair brush...don't even get me started.

georg said...

You haven't been to my house yet. It's gotten so bad, Jazz has taken this week off from work and is Cleaning. I'm even vacating the premises so he can use Chemical Warfare.

Anonymous said...

This made me laugh--my mother-in-law has one of those houses where the towels are always pristine, there is never dog hair around, and the pillow are always fluffed. My house, on the other hand.... I manage to keep the guest bath fairly clean--swipe it with cleaner and change out the hand towel frequently--but I have yet to tame the kitty-fur tumbleweeds (they breed while I vacuum, I swear!).

Anonymous said...

I've never thought to leave a hairbrush out for guests--I've always figured that people would bring their own hairbrush--kind of like a toothbrush. The ONLY reason my bathroom looks halfway decent is that it has a huge, many drawered vanity that I shove things into whenever I have guests but no time.
Helena, have you ever dropped in to your in-law's? I mean, does her bathroom always stay so neat and tidy? ; )

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya Susan.And I'm laughing.