Sunday, June 03, 2007

It's fan season again.

The cat facility has three seasons (one season occurs twice a year). Fan season, heater season, and fan/heater season.

Fan/heater season is a pain in the %$&##. That is the short period of time in spring and fall when I have to have both the heaters and the fans set up in the cat facility, which means less space, and more things to clean/trip over/get cat fur stuck around.

Last week we officially moved to fan season when I stashed the heaters in storage.

Then comes my favorite part (not!). Every year there are at least two fans that needs to be replaced either because they died, they were used in an infected area (ringworm, etc.) or they have just plain reached the disgusting stage. There is only so much cat fur a fan can tolerate, even if it is disassembled and cleaned as much as possible.

So yesterday I was buying cat litter in My Favorite Store (go ahead and snicker, Donna) and I ducked into the fan aisle to find a new stand fan. Surprisingly, this year they had metal fans, which is great!



Why? Because a) usually metal fan blades moves more air because of the way they can be designed and bent and b) metal is recycleable, so when you have to throw one of the suckers out, it's not a complete waste. You can take it apart and recycle the metal parts.

And look! Designer colors!



I hate assembling fans. The first few were fun, but now it is a chore. Surprisingly, the manufacturers have made this easier, and putting together this fan was a breeze (pun intended), especially putting the front grill on, which used to involved screws and other inventive torture devices, but now just snaps on. This means it may also snap off, and I will be able to clean it more easily. I think it was $34.00



So I highly recommend this fan. Hopefully I'll be able to run in and buy another before you all buy them out. It also comes in a sort of funky red that I would call maroon.

Now, someone please explain how my camera can stop the action on a RUNNING FAN but can't stop the action on a kitten? If my kittens photos came out this clear, life would be golden.

Whoops, thunder! Time to shut down the works and do some more cleaning.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only did I chuckle.....I actually burst out laughing! Sorry Susan, but it's an image I'll just NEVER forget, no matter how hard I try. I'll just try to stop re-living it out loud for you!

Anonymous said...

It's a little amazing to me that you have to assemble your fans, which is unheard of over here. Heh!

Here in the tropics, fans are plentiful and come fully assembled, and we have only 2 seasons - hot & hotter, so it's either fan or air-conditioning. :)

Anonymous said...

I would love one of those fans, but I just can't bring myself to go into that store!