Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Painting shelters

I promise I will post photos tomorrow (Wed). Promise!

UPDATE: Looks like we will be getting hit by the remnents of Ernesto on Saturday, so I am tentatively postponing shelter painting to Saturday, September 9.

Thank you for the FIVE offers to help paint shelters. I'm will check the weather report. The chosen date will be the first sunny Saturday. If this Saturday is sunny, that will be it. 10:30 a.m. I'll swing by the Comfort Inn to see if it would be OK to park there, as Wickes doesn't have much space.

If it's supposed to rain this Saturday, we'll aim for next Saturday. I don't want to put it off. There is just too much to do before winter hits, and everyone else is probably going to get pretty busy too.

I will also be setting the date for this year's holiday open house. That's the snowy day in November or December when we throw the house and cat facility open to friends and neighbors (RSVP's required--and volunteers and adopters ARE friends) and have wine tasting in the downstairs of the barn. Yes, believe it or not (for those of you who are new to the barn) the downstairs spiffs up OK, and the cats really seem to enjoy the event. We usually end up with 40 to 50 visitors. Owego is a great place to do some Christmas shopping in the River Row shops, if you want to hit our place early or late and head on down there for a few hours.

If fact, having the open house is the best way incentive for me to clean up to be ready for the follow spring.

We have a potluck afterwards, and we do have a guest room (and a cabin on the hill!) if anyone wants to trek in from a distance and needs a place to stay.

And National Feral Cat Day is October 16. What should we do?

1 comment:

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

How about a lesson in how to manage ferals - prior to the 16th we should all learn how to recognize colony areas, how to trap and what to do about disease in areas of feral colonies. Then on the 16th we could all take a test and see if we actually learned anything. Oh, and how about treating our indoor, loved and oh so obedient (yeah, right) kitties to some extra love and treats. And we should get a list of organizations who help ferals in need and donate money/supplies to them. Maybe a list of them in all the states where they exist? I don't know, just rambling the first thing that comes to mind.
Oh, and the stray I've been feeding and sheltering in my back yard for 4 days turned out to be a neutered male - his owners finally turned up in answer to my posters. He's 6 blocks from home, slipped out when the wall paper hangers showed up a day early, they had a key, let themselves in and the cat out! They were so happy to see him safe and sound it almost made me cry. I love happy endings...
Donna O.