Sunday, February 26, 2006

What's this, Lady?


Be thankful you didn't have to find out, you little furballs!

That's the kerosene heater.

Tonight while I was working on my desktop, suddenly everything else went off. My battery backup kept the desktop and modem alive, but it's only good for five to ten minutes so, cursing, I shut everything down.

Mark checked the kerosene heater in the Great Room in case we needed it, I fetched more wood and lit candles, and Mark lit the oil lamps. We sat for awhile, enjoying to laziness of a power outage, until I looked out at the dimming evening and said "Well, it's time to turn the lights back on again."

Because of course, once I went out and lugged the cat facility heater up the stairs, fueled it, and lit it, the power would come back on.

I waited twenty minutes and finally gave in. The heater was, luckily, empty. I carried it upstairs, put the "run" cats back and let the "cat room" cats out and propped the cat room door open so the heat could get to the entire facility. I then brought up the fuel, and began to fill the tank.

As soon as I switched the "On" button for the little battery-operated fuel pump, the power came on.

Told ya.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: