Friday, February 24, 2006

Wake-up call

I have been privileged to be involved in an almost all-male wildlife association for 14 years. The members--my friends--have treated me with utter respect...even when they disagree with me. I recognize that as the only woman, I do fill somewhat of a "mascot" role. It's safe for them to give me a bear hug or call me "Susie" (and fitting for me to exclaim in mock outrage "Susie?") because they know me. It's a joking acknowledgement to the difference in our genders (and in some cases, our ages), but when it comes down to work...ideas, results...and our distant but real friendship...gender has nothing to do with it.

Imagine my surprise today when, manning the registration desk for a conference that includes members of the profession from other states, hosted by the association to which I have belonged since its very first meeting 14 years ago, a gentleman perhaps ten years my junior walked up to register and---by way of introduction---starts off by saying "So, are you someone's wife?"

I kid you not.

7 comments:

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

:)
So you didn't ding him in the back of his head, then?

Anonymous said...

My response would've been "Ayou here as the guest of your wife?"

Anonymous said...

That should read "are you here as the guest of your wife."

Anonymous said...

hahahaha, my wonderful hubby says your answer should have been "yes, I'm someones wife, and a member, and a human being too" of course he followed it up with "dumbass" but that's his thing.

Anonymous said...

care to speculate why wildlifers are all male, and feral cat people are 98% female?

Anonymous said...

sorry, wildlifers are ALMOST all male.

Anonymous said...

At least he didn't call you, 'little lady' or something, and then ask you to go get him a cup of coffee.