Friday, November 18, 2005

Yes, it's the same place.



I called both friends today, and they are both helping the same woman. And indeed, in 2001 I trapped eleven kittens and two adults from her neighborhood. Little Houdini, above, was one of them, along with the five kittens in the previous post.

FOUR years ago. How did that happen? How does time go that fast? Around here, if we help you with cats, you get a lifetime guarentee. We tell people if a new cat shows up, to call us. The last thing I want to do is put a ton of work into a site and find out it has all gone to heck because new cats showed up and bred to the original out-of-control numbers.

Well, four years later, new cats have shown up, and the woman caring for them is 95. 95 years old, and she's still looking out for cats. I should be so lucky.

Four years. That's pretty good, actually, in a neighborhood with a lot of people.

There was a mom cat, but she is MIA. There are three kittens, apparently still small. There are two friends, one who is able to help check traps. There is a dad cat, who will get a trip to the vet for neutering and a rabies shot. I've got some volunteers willing to give up their Sunday to come over and paint shelters, so we'll stow a shelter under her porch for any future cats, and neighborhood cats, since she'll probably feed anything that looks sadly in her back door. Then I'll also get shelters to people I promised, what, a year ago? The kittens I'll catch and we'll run them by the local shelter to see if they are candidates for their foster program.

If they aren't, I guess we'll keep them, because even if they take some time to tame, they really can't go back.

No comments: