Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas! What a day!

We've never done a Christmas kitty delivery, but time ran out on Christmas Eve, so after Mark and I had our morning coffee and sat on our refurbished futon couch (which I love -- Merry Christmas to us!), I bundled up Schubert and Tuck into Mark's car and delivered them to their new home, only a stone's throw from their foster home, and only a stone's throw and a half to the adoptive home of their two sibs!

AND right near the TNR'd poultry farm colony. We seem to be drawing some seriously good vibes in that neighborhood. It must be Nancy C's influence. :)

Look at this. They get their own private fireplace in their safe room while they get used to their new home. Lucky cats, I think, don't you?

In the "small world" category, it turns out we've already adopted a cat to this family. The couple mentioned that they were talking to their sister, and learned the sister had adopted a Sage Road cat we rescued a number of years ago. The adoption was actually from the SPCA, but Susan M. and I had been TNRing the colony, so after the adoption I went over to their house and showed them how to handle the very shy cat, and to clean her ears since she still had ear mites. I was very glad to learn that cat is doing well and they are very happy with her.

Good Christmas news!



Then it was back home for family and presents. Jack helped.



About noon the phone rang. Paatie the "outside becoming inside cat" who was just spayed had a really nasty eye infection...on Christmas Day. The only emergency vet is Cornell and I really couldn't give advice whether it was a "today" emergency or a "tomorrow" emergency, so I said "bring her over." And then I recalled that this couple is friends with my sister Linda, who hadn't seen them years, and who just happened to be at my house for Christmas. So I called them back and said "and plan on staying for dessert." Paatie found herself back in her old cage with eye meds, and we had a lovely time in the house.

This morning, Paatie's eye is MUCH better and she has an appointment tomorrow at Cornerstone (temp is now normal at 100.5). But you can see by the reflection there are "issues."




It was the first time cats have taken over Christmas, but it actually expanded the human celebration for us. While I don't think I'd plan to add cats on purpose next Christmas, the accidental cat aspect this year added quite an enjoyable dimension to yesterday's holiday.

I'm sure Paatie would prefer not to be dealing with an eye infection, but I'm glad it brought her caretakers over to our house!

I hope everyone who celebrates had a lovely Christmas.

No comments: