Thursday, November 15, 2007

I'm coming home, I've done my time...

No, actually it was quite fun. I'm sitting in the Tampa airport and should be on my way to Philly and then to Ithaca in short order.

My plane arrives at around 6:00 and Mark has stashed a vehicle for me at I.C. Getting from the airport to I.C. might be an adventure since my cash card tells me I have insufficient funds at the ATM, so I hope the shuttle takes a credit card!

It was great to see everyone from work. This was a working retreat, which we do once a year or so. It has been 18 months since the last one, and a lot of new faces have been added whom I had only met via the internet. This is really our only chance to get together, explain in person what our jobs are, and present the state of our slice of the working "pie." As usual, the new faces were all attached to great people, and now when I heap work on them (or they heap work on me) during the usual day-to-day I can put a face to the type on my laptop screen.

After the Feral Cat Summit and two days of work meetings, last night it was nice to be treated to a short harbor cruise. Far-off city lights reflecting off calm flat water was the perfect way to unwind after days of people, people, people under fluorescent lights. Well, there was the singing of "Hotel California" at the top of our lungs to the very loud restaurant band--I guess that wasn't particularly calming, but it certainly was hilarious and so totally high-school. I guess that was our primal scream.

But I'm glad to be heading home. I'm even looking forward to scooping litter boxes, and I'll bet Donna is ready to be able to spend a day at home instead of driving over to my place three times a day!!!!

No comments: