Thursday, October 20, 2005

Disappointed



My hope was that readers would get the message to come together to help the cats that are on campus and need help now.

What was edited and published:

"I no longer rescue pets at the college, but have nevertheless received calls about loose cats on campus. If you love animals, help those that need homes. Staff and students can contact me at info@americancat.net. As an alumna, I would be happy to continue to shelter these animals, but they would benefit from organized, on-campus help."

What I actually wrote:

"I no longer work at IC, but have already received calls of loose cats on campus. If you love animals, help those already homeless. Staff and students, contact me at info@americancat.net and let’s get together as a community to help IC campus pets, as other colleges do. As an alumnus, I would be happy to continue to shelter them, but they need organized on-campus help."

My "call to arms--we should work together" was reduced to "call me." For what? No reason is given.

I now know why journalists write like they are swinging a bat. If they are subtle, the meaning will be edited out. If you wield a bludgeon, no one can misunderstand.

As Get Fuzzy would say: "My bad." I should have known better.

No comments: