Wednesday, May 14, 2008

We are losing our muse...



Two weeks ago we agreed to sell the farm.

Two weeks ago, Nicky began to pass away.

He began eating less, and dropped weight with alarming speed.

I took him to the vet yesterday, and radiographs showed a large mass in his abdomen. Nicky likely has cancer. My vet did not recommend surgery.

Nick has stopped eating entirely today. I let him roam the farm for one last day, because it was beautiful and warm, and it is his place. But tomorrow I am afraid to let him out, because he is growing weaker, and I don't want him to just disappear. Mark found him asleep in the grass next to the barn, right out in the open. He obviously had grown tired and just stopped there.

Friday he goes back to the vet for his final visit.

The Owl Creek farm is really and truly nothing without Nick. He is it's puckish spirit. It's like he knew that once it was gone, there was no place for him.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

:O I don't know what to say...

I'm heartbroken for you. :`(

JMKH said...

Hugs to you and love to your brave kitty.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I lost my 16-year-old cat Tess in March. I know the sadness.

I'm also sorry about the farm...a new future does await you.

georg said...

I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

I've always taken GREAT pleasure in the rare occasions when Nick would bless me with his presence around the cat barn. He really is the symbol of Wildrun for me. My heart aches for both you and him, Susan. May he go in peace, with you right there by his side. Many hearts will be there with you too. {HUGS} dear lady.....D

Katie said...

I am so sorry. When I saw this post my stomach dropped. I've enjoyed hearing about Nick and seeing pictures of your farm. You'll all be in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

oh, i am so sorry.

what will happen to wildrun?

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about Nicky and the farm; keep us posted

amygatos said...

I am so sorry, and I will pray for you and precious Nicky.

Anonymous said...

I've lost 2 to cancer this year and another to renal failure. If only we could keep them healthy and happy forever..........So sorry for your loss.

I'm saddened to hear that you are selling the farm. And I echo others concerns about Wildrun and your work for the cats. Your blog and stories are much needed "food" for both the heart and the soul.

Wishing you all the best.

Connie - Orlando

Anonymous said...

Just catching up here - very sorry to hear this news. :(