Sunday, May 25, 2008

Hit upside the head with the past...



I'm going through my books and took down my pile of Woolworth's date books, which I assumed were just old partial diaries. Well, they are, in a way, but I had forgotten I had written all my wildlife calls in them from the days when the rabies front was running through New York. The Sheriff's Dept. could tell when I was working dispatch because they could hear me on the radio, so they would save up wildlife calls until I got off shift, and I just ran around late every evening, and most of the weekends, picking up sick and dead raccoons. It was a very sad time for wildlife.

Thursday, Jan 30, 1992

1) 170 Clinton W - IPD raccoon (Ithaca Police Dept) - Got there and J. Ryan had picked it out of the 2nd floor porch. Nice man - finally got to meet. Taking rac to CU for IPD.

2) Lower Treman - rac from 327 to Cornell. No one around on arrival. Removed rac from truck, rinsed their shovel, and taking rac to CU. Left note for them to call

3) 76 Horton Rd - dog in doghouse w/rac. H. Dept doesn't know if contact. Still want me to get it. Told P. Coates I didn't know if CU would handle it.


I was going to toss all these when I saw them, but now I'm fascinated by this version of myself. I remember all these calls, but I never would have thought of them again without the journal. Imagine a time when I didn't know Jack Ryan (another wildlife control person)!

Who was this person? Is she still me?

No comments: