Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Unexpected but (mostly) enjoyable kitten run

I think I mentioned earlier that a co-worker, who is due to travel at the end of this week, unexpectedly found a mom cat and kittens. The timing wasn't particularly good.

Well, I guess no one "expectedly" finds a mom cat and kittens.

I had thought I might be able to combine kitten pick-up with getting together with folks from work during the day sometime later this week, but that didn't work out. So Lynn and I decided to hop in our respective cars after work today and just start driving toward each other until we met.

Well, it wasn't quite that unscripted. I IM'd another coworker who was more familiar with the general area where Lynn and I planned to bump into one another. She suggested The Barley Creek Brewing Company as a place to rendezvous and eat.

Mark generously lent his car (and his cell phone) because the "Service Engine Soon" light was on in my truck. His car became a kitty transport vehicle (not for the first time).



The Brewery was great. Directions are on their website, if you are ever traveling along Rt. 80. Unfortunately, the gentleman seated next to me at the bar while I waited for Lynn was the typical guy you don't want to meet at a bar. I hoped when we shook hands that it wouldn't turn out that way, but you know when you have that feeling?

Well.

I didn't realize people still made racist comments to strangers and expected to be laughed at at this day and age. I am naive, aren't I? We were watching coverage of Vick pleading guilty to dog fighting, and this (white) gentleman went off on what he perceived to be the difference between "blacks" and "niggers." I sort of smiled at first and told him I didn't think it was anything I would be interested in hearing (I need to learn to give people the dark look they deserve. I must practice a good sneer. There are times when one MUST NOT SMILE). He proceeded to tell me (I won't repeat his theory). I said "Really, is that what you think? I see then we have the same problem with white people as well." He sort of looked at me, and like all folks of his sort, just assumed I couldn't possibly mean him. But he shut up on that topic.

People like that should be ejected from the building.

Lynn arrived and we relocated from the bar to a table. We ate, we talked, we had fun, we split the tab. We moved the kittens from her car to mine, and headed back in our respective directions in the rain.

I had picked up a six pack of their beer for Mark, in return for him lending me his car.It wasn't until I was paying for it that I noticed the name of the beer!



Okay. Really. I had no clue this place sold a beer by that name, and I picked it because it was India Pale Ale (Mark's preferred beer). The name was just too funny, being on a rescue run.

So the traveling kittens (and mom) come to Wildrun. Babies in the house once again:



It's 1:00 am. The cats are almost all tucked in, then it's off to bed.

3 comments:

auntie p said...

Oh, so sweet! You're all in good hands, cat mommy and babies. :)

ps: I've never had that pale ale before. We don't have it around here.

Elizabeth said...

ahh!!! orange kitten!!!!! ... maybe emmi needs another playmate! ;) hehe just kidding ... she's sleeping here by me right now! .. she's sure growing! ill have to send more pictures :)

Wildrun said...

The bottled beer had a good taste (recommended) but was very flat (therefore not recommended) by the way. I hope it was just that batch.