Friday, August 03, 2007

Sorry cats, it's back to grocery-grade cat food


My web page says "Please don't donate food! We have a source." Well, during the summer, the "source" runs out. Last summer I was able to stock up enough to make it all the way through, but this year, well, no such luck.

So the cats are on mid-grade Nine Lives and Purina, which means they'll get even fatter than they already are and gak up brightly colored cat gak due to the dyes. Please, cat food manufacturers, can't you get away from the brightly colored food?

(So yes, we are now taking dry food donations. It takes about three 16-18 lb bags a week to feed these guys and the Fast Food Ferals). And Cats Pride clay litter is always appreciated.

Sadly enough, grocery grade food costs me twice as much as my Science Diet did. And with no more Cats Pride at My Favorite Store in Ithaca (I DID look Nancy, really I did) I am now hauling out to Watkins Glen to the (okay I'll say it) Walmart there.

But the Walmart in Watkins gets big points! I always hate going through the line with ten bags of cat litter. I always get the anticipatable "Gosh, you must have lots of cats."

The lady managing the Walmart line in Watkins cast a critical eye on my cart and said "You must have a rescue!"

I could have KISSED her! When I told her she was the first person who had ever made that remark, she wryly said "Well, I try to use my brain."

Someone get her out of Walmart.

I tried to get photos of the cats. Really I did. But why, when you try to take a photo of yourself scritching a cat, does it always looks like you are throttling him instead? Really, Dude was purring. I promise.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tagged ya.

http://www.felyne.com/stalkings/2007/08/when-the-best-p.html

Anonymous said...

Is there a CostCo near you? 20lb bags of I-swear-it's-the-same-as-Science-Diet food for $11. All the kitties here love it (but not so much they're getting fat) and yak up much less than they have with other foods. And no freaky dyes.

Wildrun said...

We don't have Costco, but I'm willing to drive if it means no dyes. What is the actual name of the food? Is it Costco brand? I was surprised to see Walmarts Special Kitty urinary diet also has fewer dyes. I think I'm email Purina and ask them to consider a naked food. :)

georg said...

If you still find yourself driving through our area on a regular basis, the Cats Pride litter is available at the Giant. I usually buy them out once a month.

Anonymous said...

Costco litter is incredibly cheap, too: 44lbs for $7.50. Clumps well and keeps the smell down. (Not flushable, if that matters.)

As for food, it's the Kirkland brand, which is Costco's. I'm not sure how the branding works -- many national brand items in the stores are double branded.

At any rate, back during the recall frenzy, I scanned the food label for a friend. I've put the image here if you want to check it out.

Oh, I don't think there's one in upstate NY... PA might be nearest. Maybe somebody could meet you halfway... not sure it saves much if you have to drive THAT far. :)

Anonymous said...

ught this may help you, the ingredients for the costco food I would even say it is BETTER then Science Diet

KIRKLAND – Costco Chicken formula ( no corn)
Kirkland Signature Super Premium Maintenance Cat Chicken and Rice

Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, ground white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, flaxseed, potassium chloride, salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, methionine,choline chloride, taurine, dried chicory root, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, Copper proteinate, Zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, Vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 30.0% minimum
Crude Fat 20.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 3.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Magnesium 0.1% maximum
Selenium 0.4 mg/k minimum
Vitamin E 100 IU/kg minimum
Taurine 0.1% minimum
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.3% minimum
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.5% minimum
Calorie Content
4,008 kcal/kg (375 kcal/cup)Calculate Metabolizable Energy

Anonymous said...

I fed Costco Super Premium Maintenance diet to my cats and one got really sick and developed fatty liver disease from refusing to eat it. I wouldn't blame the food but my not paying more attention to the fact that cat wasn't eating. Not worth the savings if you only a few cats to take care of. Now I buy super premium food at specialty pet stores for fear of the cat getting sick again. I think if you wanted a cheap brand stick to Friskies or 9 lives - at least it's tasty and the cats will eat it.