Thursday, February 07, 2008

Neither sleet, nor thunder, no lightning, nor rain...



...will keep those Waverly people from helping their local cats!

Yesterday as I worked, my vet's office called and said "This is a reminder that you have an appointment tomorrow for Lawrence....and a feral."

And a feral? But I didn't have an unfixed feral! And the weather was nasty. Just nasty. And I had to deliver a kitten that night, so I couldn't even run out to Susan's trailer park where she's trapping, and plop down a trap to see what I could get.

So I sent an email off to the Waverly folks. Were they insane enough to take the bait?

Indeed they were. And they actually managed to catch a cat, which tells you just how hungry those cats are, and what good trappers the Waverly folks have become. They made another late-night trip out to deliver him here. This guy desperately needed to be caught. He was wet and matted, and those mats weren't going to come out on their own. This is the kind of situation that will kill a cat come early summer when the flies come out. Flies will lay eggs on smelly wet matted cats, and (sorry for the graphic explanation) the resulting maggots will eat a cat alive.

That's not the fate for this guy. He'll get clipped up and cleaned up, and he'll spend more time grooming once he's thinking less about fighting for the ladies.

They named him "Wednesday" because he was rescued on Ash Wednesday.

2 comments:

georg said...

We rescued a bearded collie (and he really must have been a purebred, out on his own for several months) at the humane society. I started to cut mats and found maggots. Not fun. I had to stop what I was doing and call in a professional. He was a changed dog (for the better) when he left us for a home.

(For those unaware of bearded collies, think old english sheepdog, about 2 inches shorter and with a tail, but just as much fur)

Blueberry said...

He is a beauty! I didn't realize that about the maggots but I think graphic descriptions are good. No use candy-coating what these poor critters are going through.