Thursday, January 11, 2007

If you were reading Wildrun via RSS feed...

I apologize, but I've restricted this until I can learn more about it. Some person had set up a blog elsewhere on the web that was pulling and posting my blog entries (along with two other cat blogs) and had no other content. It also only posted the text and not the photos (which made the posts rather pointless). The purpose of this so-called "blog" (as far as I could see) was to support Google ads, etc. In other words, whomever this person is, sets up blogs using other people's content, in order to make a few dimes.

I am of course not going to link the blog in question, and I did try to email the blog owner (I think I tracked down the correct email address) with no response.

Until I can learn how to block just one feed--if that is possible--I've shut off the option. I see my stats have gone down a bit, and I apologize. If there are a few readers who really need that option, please email me at info at americancat dot net to let me know. You may be more important to me than my pride, and perhaps I'd be willing to turn it back on again.

love ya,

Susan

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Report the blog to Google for violating Google's AdSense policy. Here's the email address: adsense-abuse@google.com

Here's a link to Google's page about it: https://www.google.com/adsense/support/bin/answer.py?answer=18386. I think the site in question would violate the part of the agreement which says, "No Google ad may be placed on pages published specifically for the purpose of showing ads, whether or not the page content is relevant". You can also, of course, make the argument that you content is being used without your permission, but that might require that you make a specific DMCA complaint (http://www.google.com/dmca.html).

Flippy made a successful DMCA complaint last year -- the offending website was removed from search engines completely.

vlad259 said...

Hi,

I second the reporting suggestion above. I would love to continue to read Wildrun via RSS, but it's not going to stop me reading it.

Normally I read blogs via Google Reader and click on the new articles to go straight to the blog entry. So short form RSS is more than enough for me, and that might solve your plagiarism problems.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers, Matt