Sunday, September 30, 2007

Abandoned kitten...

It's 2:30 am, I'm back from the airport, and guess what was waiting at the side of the road for me in front of the barn when I pulled in?



In the scheme of Abandonment, whoever left this kitten scored a few "good" points, although how that weighs against a year in jail or a $1000 fine in court, I'm not sure. They A) at least left a crate. I can always use a crate. If they had dumped the kitten without a crate, chances are pretty good the kitten would be squished in the road by now, or would have hidden for days until we noticed him/her B) they left food and water with the kitten, although there was no water in the bowl, and most of the food was gone. C) the kitten is pretty chubby, and is wearing a flea collar.

However, on the bad side they A) left the crate within 2 feet of the road, B) didn't bother to include a towel for the poor little thing so he/she was sitting out in a cold damp bare crate on this chilly evening and, C) they left no note or email.

I haven't decided whether or not to call the state police to report it. I probably will, unless I get an email tomorrow from someone letting me know what they did and why they did it.

This now rounds the kitten population up to 11. Thanks bunches, whoever you are. I hope you genuinely had a good reason for dumping this kitten in the middle of the night. I hope tomorrow I find a note that I missed tonight in the darkness.

I'm glad I came home late and pulled in to find him, so he/she didn't sit out there in the cold all evening. Luckily I had the cage available from the black kittens (who are with Mark's sister, fostering) so I could get the kitten set up all snug and dry while in my semi-comatose "this morning I was in Spokane WA and I just spent the whole day on a plane and the last two hours driving" state.

No comments: